Fly Tying
psychoprince

Great Lakes Steelhead?

Would anyone be interested in a Great Lakes Steelhead swap? I saw there have been a few in the past, but not since 2010. This would be my first time hosting a swap, and before I started it I wanted to see if there would be any interest. With spring around the corner I figured this would be a good time to get this one going!

I'm a West Coast Steelheader, but I think most patterns would work in either location. I be interested if you would let a California guy join. Have you read the information at the top of the swap/contest page? Have you got the go ahead from admin?

I sent a message to steeldrifter all the way back in august about hosting this swap and got no response. I attempted to message smalliehunter only to get a message saying that he could not receive messages. capebslar has not been active since 2010, and I could not find a member named OSD. I have another message out to steeliedrifter, so as soon as I get the okay I will set this one up.

I'm another west coaster for steelhead, never fished the great lakes, I would join if you get the OK

mcgx2

interesting. what would be considered East/West?

East coast= Florida, Georgia, S. And N. Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Conneticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. Plus the eastern part of Canada.

West Coast= California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Western Canada.

The Great Lakes are east.

Think of the country of split in the relative center by a North/South line. Left of the line would be West. Right of the line would be East.

Does that help? :)

Kind of off topic but I think the Mississippi has always kind of been the call for East and West. At least you'll hear east or west of Big Miss all the time.

I really shouldn't bite off more than I can chew but I'd do the steelhead swap. Probably go with a simple yarn egg that has caught me more steelhead out of Lakes Michigan and Superior than most people would even begin to believe. Then add a "real" fly to go with it for those purists who don't think eggs are flies.

Sounds good vicrider. I have found that I do very well with traditional egg patterns for Lake Erie steelhead, but there is just something about swinging a streamer that gets my blood pumping. Still waiting to hear back from steeldrifter on approval, so hopefully soon.

interesting. what would be considered East/West?

East coast= Florida, Georgia, S. And N. Carolina, Virginia, Maryland, New Jersey, New York, Conneticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, and Maine. Plus the eastern part of Canada.

West Coast= California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, and Western Canada.

The Great Lakes are east.

Think of the country of split in the relative center by a North/South line. Left of the line would be West. Right of the line would be East.

Does that help? smile.png

i have no one to blame except myself for this answer. great geography lesson though ;)

west coast: ocean fed rivers

east coast: great lake fed rivers

if i'm not mistaken, there are two very distinct approaches to steelheading for each 'coast'.

Psychoprince- as long as you have participated in 3 swaps and have the minimum post count you should be good to go. You just need to send in your contact info to steeldrifter