Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
herrickkyle@gmail.com

Copper John Epoxy

I believe he's asking for advice on what to use to hold a batch of copper johns while the epoxy sets up.

I dont epoxy my copper johns, but for the flys that i do epoxy i usually just stick them in foam. As long as i don't have to worry about the epoxy drooping, in that case i put them in a rotating machine.

If you use UV resin, as Silver suggests, you don't need to put them on anything "while they dry".

But, if you do like most people, you put the epoxy on each one in a vise or while holding the hook, and then stick each one on a wheel. You don't actually apply the epoxy while they're on the wheel, though.

I usually do nymphs like this in bulk, and when it comes time to add epoxy to the casings I take the piece of cardboard from a 12 can "fridge pack" that is perforated for opening and cut it so the corner of the removed piece holds the hooks in a straight line. Use your imagination. I'm sure the foam will work too.

You don't actually apply the epoxy while they're on the wheel, though.

Whys that?? If you are just doing a quick spot on the back of a copper john i don't see why not. Spot one fly spin the wheel spot the next and so on. If you are covering the whole body or making an epoxy head than yes you would do one fly at a time and them put on the wheel.

DSC05114.JPG

flex-coat-turner.jpg

buy or make a drying wheel or use silvercreeks uv resin for the representation of the bubble on copper johns

There are people who use drying wheels for Copper Johns? Really? What a odd waste of time. Corks and Styrofoam cups are all well and good, but I like to tie 1-2 dozen flies are a time, and doing each one as they are tied would be very inefficient. All you really need is a foam block big enough to put the flies in and then epoxy then all at once. Even if you are using UV resin, this is still faster than interrupting the tying to finish the fly. If you have a craft store like Michael's or Hobby Lobby nearby, they usually have thick foam items used for children's crafts. Pack foam such as used in electronics cartoons works too, but I like the closed sell foam the best because it holds small and large hooks equally well. YMMV.

Styrofoam cup. put them all in the rim around the top...no need to rotate with a thicker liquid like 5 or 30 min epoxy