Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Steeldrifter

Custom built Sage One

Y4eIkk.jpg
1S3qDd.jpg
af81bZ.jpg
l3sPjf.jpg

Just finished this one up, a top drawer rod off the bench. Sage One 4wt 8'6" 4pc with lemke seat hardware and burl insert, Flor grade cork, black wraps with single turn light gold trim to match the Sage writing color, Tich color snake guides and a 20" measuring mark.

I am sure this is a special rod. And, I have no doubt that you have done a great job building it.

However ... when I finally order my custom rod, though, I am going to request some ... bling.

I want things that make it look other than production, which this all black (with gold trim) job does, to me.

One thing I have learned is there's all sorts of tastes for guys with rods out there. This one is what I would call, classy bling IMO lol. Sage production rods don't have the classy single turn trim (they have no trim) and the Lemke seat with hand turned burl insert on this one is a very high dollar item which is much nicer than Sage production seat. And the cork here on this is the top end so there's no filler (except for two or three small spots) that falls out after a few uses like production rod grips. I usually like a little more bling on my rods too Mike, but this one is actually a subtle custom rod when you look at the details.

I had a rod built 30 yrs ago by a guy in my hometown while I was in the Air Force stationed in Texas. All of our conversations were via phone. I wanted a plain rod (blank was dark grey) with black thread. I got a grey rod with grey thread and heavy gold trim. I wasn't happy with the colors of the rod but the builder was about 80 when he built it and a real nice guy so I didn't say anything. After a few million casts and more fish than I can count, the rod needed some work. I took it to a friend who builds bamboo rods to have it rewrapped. Black thread only. I go to pick up the rod and the thread is black but the coating over the thread has a sprinkling of fine blue metallic flecks in it. He said it looked like a funeral rod with just black thread so he added subtle color. The rod looks great but I like my stuff understated.

That is a sweet looking rod, Steve.

Sounds like a failure to communicate. I think after two times having the builder not do what I asked for, I'd tell him to take it back and do what I asked for. Good thing these guys weren't house builders!

As mentioned by Steve, sometimes the bling is that oozing of class. This rod has exactly that.............. I remember Lincoln around 1957ish or maybe it was around 1960 came out with this all black model, in that year it oozed class. It was in the leather, the grill, the lines of the car. It didn't need tons of chrome trim and two toned colors so prevalent then to make it's statement, it just oozed the statement. Beautiful rod Steve !

Kudos on this build. I love looking at the rods you share with us but this is only one of a couple that I would consider owning/fishing. I prefer the nice natural cork grip ( would even prefer a cork seat on a 4wt.) and the single color wraps with tipping. While I can appreciate the fancy grips and artistic diamond wraps they are not for me. I read an article on the Portugal cork trees a short time ago. The best cork is from the third harvest when the tree is something like 20 years old. Perhaps if the wine industry uses more synthetic cork the rod builders will get a shot at the finer stuff.

Again, thanks for sharing.

As mentioned by Steve, sometimes the bling is that oozing of class. This rod has exactly that..............

yes it does but ive also seen some gawdy bling on some rods.....

Great looking rod, as always. Love the "Stealth" look.

steve

Great thing about having a custom rod made you get to be in charge. I like enough bling to make a hooker blush!