Fly Tying
Bryon Anderson

It's project time again

Got the pieces cut (out of solid walnut), drilled, sanded and ready to finish--couple of minor mistakes but they shouldn't show too badly once the tools are in place. Final glue-up and tung oil finish are next -- should have a picture of it finished in the next day or so. I'm looking forward to using it. :)

The only thing I see wrong, aesthetically, is the wood is too dark. I am fond of lighter wood colors with more pronounced visual grain.

As far as the aesthetics and functionality of your project ... looks damn good to me. It could use some sanding and a few good coats of clear polyurethane, but it's a good looking piece of wood work.

That looks great!! Good job, that is somthing I would make if I had time to do it. I like the darker look, sorry Mike, it makes the brass and tools stand out. Again GREAT JOB...

Maybe I'd like it better if it had a finish of some kind. There is some grain detail, but it needs something to bring it out.

Very nice, yes a coat or ten of boiled linsead oil would be very nice, poly to me is too plastic looking compared to an oil finish! I like it a lot let me know if you sell any!

Byron,

That is pretty darn good wood working there in my opinion! Looks great now that you know how to make those how about making me one? LOL Very nice work indeed!!!

Byron,

That is pretty darn good wood working there in my opinion! Looks great now that you know how to make those how about making me one? LOL Very nice work indeed!!!

Thanks add147 :) I'm pretty happy with the way it turned out.

The only thing I see wrong, aesthetically, is the wood is too dark. I am fond of lighter wood colors with more pronounced visual grain.

As far as the aesthetics and functionality of your project ... looks damn good to me. It could use some sanding and a few good coats of clear polyurethane, but it's a good looking piece of wood work.

Thanks Mike! I have to tell you, I thought I had replied to your comment right after you left it, but as I was looking through the thread today, I didn't see my reply. Not sure what happened there; I feel bad b/c you were the first to comment and, up to now, I've responded to everyone but you. Sorry about that! smile.png

Normally I'm of the same opinion about the dark wood -- it's never been my favorite. That walnut kind of caught my eye, though, what can I say. Normally, though, I'm all about the lighter woods with more visible grain patterns, as you said. I'd really like to do one of these in something like Bird's Eye Maple.

I'm working on the finish, too--it has a few coats of tung oil on it so far, but that stuff is going to take forever to give the result I'd really like, so I'm thinking about doing a coat of wipe-on clear polyurethane. What do you think, would that work?

Edited by Bryon Anderson

Looks good, nice piece.plus you have the satisfaction of knowing you made it yourself.

Thanks Nick. I do like making stuff for myself. By this time next year I hope to have learned a little wood turning--I have a brand-new lathe that I bought at an estate sale, it's never even been plugged in. I just have to live long enough to learn everything I want to learn. :)