Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
vb1971

Streamside Fly Tying Box

Hi Everyone,

I just purchased a small fly tying vise which I intend to bring along with me on fishing trips in case I need to tie something specific. This had me thinking as to whether some of you guys and gals out there have a streamside specific box you bring along that has basic tying materials and capacity to hold a vise (See vise pic attached)

I would like to build it myself and would love some ideas (note: my carpentry skills are rudimentary). Look forward to the feedback

Cheers from Downunder

Note: I only fish for trout so will not need anything too big

VB1971

post-54218-0-55182200-1452648171_thumb.jpg

Thanks Flytire

Was trying to add some "ROMANCE" to my idea!!!!

Maybe a nice hinged wooden box with a vice platform, some bobbin and tool holders. Having said that cant believe simple solution was taring me right in the face HHEHEHE

Cheers

VB1971

heres a few wooden boxes here that you could cozy up to the fireplace and release your pent up sexual angst with smile.png

390e4387983cce811980c5f03af565b9.jpg

9bcf1b541516ba7c715a92c441d58f5f.jpg

tiger%20tying%20box%20hires%204.jpg

tyingbox.jpg

and why would you want to lug around a heavy wooden box? it would drag you down like being married! the best way to lose 125 pounds? divorce!

i remember in the 80s when the gerstner wooden tool box was all the rage in portable fly tying until you had to pick one up. i never drank that koolaid

92-g.jpg

Set your vise up on top of a cask of wine like Markus Hoffman in one of his videos! I keep looking at ways to hook my El cheapo c-clamp vise up on the basin everytime i go & have a shit at work, ty a fly on the boss's time?:-) Maybe after winter i'll put a table & chair in the back of my van & park it in the fare corner & ty some flies, then clock off after fly tying in over hours!?! Ha Ha Ha!:-)

I have the same vise, and one other small travel vise. I have built, and still use a couple of different kits.

The small kit is for stream side, and fits in a 4 X 4 X1" backup tape box. The large kit fits in a small cigar box. I can fit enough material in either kit along with the basic tools to tie either back at base (usually a camp,) or right on stream.

I also have a soft sided case with zip lock plastic pockets that holds enough for a month or two of tying, but I don't usually need that much. The last three pictures are of the soft side kit. Sorry no pictures of the cigar box kit.

post-12074-0-75058800-1452739320_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-87797000-1452739357_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-97400700-1452739335_thumb.jpg

post-12074-0-09506000-1452739844_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-82636200-1452739853_thumb.jpgpost-12074-0-06678700-1452739865_thumb.jpg

I use to tote a tool box with vise and tying materials with me when a bunch of friends would get together for a few days of camping. It was not meant to be used for stream side tying but after a day on the water we'd get together compare notes and tie up flies for the next day. It got interesting after a couple of bottles of booze but it saved my butt a couple of times and let me catch fish the next day. It's nice to be able to match the hatch, but is the time spent unpacking, setting up and tying flies worth it. I usually do a bit of research to see what the hatches are happening and tie up some to take with me.

VB,

I have been out of town the last few days. Here is a picture of the stream side box with the contents labeled. I set this box up to get me though in situations where I find the unexpected. Its designed for the places where I fish, and your actual contents might need to be different.

post-12074-0-05023400-1453344533_thumb.jpg

I've not found a need to have a stream-side tying kit (i.e. one I actually carry with me); however, I do have a portable fly tying box that I often keep in the car or at the motel. With as many flies as I carry though, I rarely use that kit either. It's more there to give me peace of mind and something to do when the fishing day is done. I got the old used box years back on eBay pretty cheap. It works really well and is fun to use.

box1.JPG

box2.JPG

box3.JPG