Fly Tying
flytyerinpa

Copper John

Hello fellow fly tiers time to expand my fly inventory I've been thinking of adding the copper john to my fly book, but I've been wondering if anybody has had any problem with the copper oxidizing once they use the fly ?

The Copper John is a valuable addition to any flyfisher's repertoire. I take it you are concerned that the copper wire will change colour or corrode after exposure to the elements. If you use magnet wire, as most of us do, you don't need to worry because the wire is insulated with a tough layer of plastic. In fact, it is the colour of the plastic (gold, red, green, black, etc) that gives the wire its colour. Wire from transformers and motors is magnet wire and is coated with plastic.

The wire from an old power cord (zip-cord) like that used to power a lamp or a toaster, however, consists of a bundle of naked copper wire filaments, which are often of perfect size for the Copper John. This wire is not coated and will darken with time. A coat of Sally Hansens, epoxy, UV resin, or even head cement will protect this wire from oxidation. Just brush it on after wrapping the abdomen.

Or you could just use 14kt gold jewelry making wire as gold doesnt tarnish! You loose one your only out $20 :) jk

Yes ive never seen ultra wire tarnish

I coat the hook with thinned head cement or sally's ( same thing basically), then the wire after wrapping. If you get oxidation it's likely to be hook rusting or reaction from dissimilar metals in contact with water that is the cause. And dry your fly before storage. Anyway fishing flies only need to be protected so far and then it gets to be over kill, since most will be destroyed by fish or lost long before oxidation takes them over. with the exception of a short fishing trip with the flies in use then long storage when put away wet. Like over the winter for instance, open your fly boxes in the spring to find everything is all rusted or corroded. Perfect !

you'll probably lose it long before it gets a chance to tarnish but if it does tarnish a bit so what fish it anyways

you'll probably lose it long before it gets a chance to tarnish but if it does tarnish a bit so what fish it anyways

Agreed.

This is the reason why trees have branches.

Josephcsylvia, i actually have four spools of high quality gold wire... Very very very expensive, but i got them at a garage sale along with 60 other spools of tying tinsel, wire, etc. For 40 bones. I guess the retiring tyer forgot what he had.

Josephcsylvia, i actually have four spools of high quality gold wire... Very very very expensive, but i got them at a garage sale along with 60 other spools of tying tinsel, wire, etc. For 40 bones. I guess the retiring tyer forgot what he had.

wow, what a steal!

I tied Copper Johns for Maine, I got all hot on them for a while there. But I guess I tied them too large, never caught a thing on them. Maybe I'll take another whack at them in more appropriate sizes.

Anyway, on wire fly bodies I use Ultra wire as well, I have copper, olive, black and red in two different thicknesses.

Having spent years fishing bass in all kinds of conditions, when the bite was hot and the day was sunny and we were using bright blades things were great. Then the sun and the bite would disappear behind a cloud and I would pull out my dark skirted spinner with well tarnished and dull blade and things would often pick right back up. MOST (not all) things in nature tend to exhibit drab exteriors to better survive in a primitive world below the surface. If it were me I'd pick Silver Creeks tarnished wire to tie nymphs with but probably include some small "hotspot".