Fly Tying
Mike West

Database Broke?

good luck getting help. owner doesnt seem to want to fix this part of the website

If you scroll your cursor over his avatar, it displays that he was last active here on April 18th, at 02:11 pm. Steve has his status hidden, so you can't tell when he is here or not.

Steve's always here haha.

The way the old database worked is a huge loss to the forum in my opinion. It was great to click a profile and see flies they had posted.

It was great to click a profile and see flies they had posted.

you can "browse by member" and get what they submitted

Yep as Piker said I am here just about every day and read as much as I can. Guys if I had the means to do work on the site (software work) then I for sure would, but as much as I can do with my hands and such, software / computers are not one of the things I can handle. That falls on Will (smalliehunter) and he's not much into the "extras" on the site these days. He does pay the bills and keeps the place open for everyone though so lets not be too hard on him okay.

Steve

I would suggest asking for donations from the members enjoy using it then and hire a professional webmaster for couple $100 to fix it for him. I'm sure you raise more than enough to cover the cost. I'd throw $5 at it

It's not about money, and Will is a wiz when it comes to programming and such so he doesn't really need anyone to do it. It's just no longer a priority in his life these days, so that's why I say it's just good that FTF is still here and he at least keeps the doors open for everyone.

I wish the like button worked, but i can live with it. It is cool that he has kept it going for us...I think i would freak if i come back after a while and find it gone.

I wish the like button worked, but i can live with it. It is cool that he has kept it going for us...I think i would freak if i come back after a while and find it gone.

And that's the big thing man. Am I bummed that all the features are not working? Sure I am....but the site is still paid for and up & running, which is the main thing IMO. So if I came here one day and did not see the thing I have seen for 12 yrs here....that's when I would be sad lol. I know guys are not happy with some of the features not working though, I get it. But keep it in perceptive is all I'm saying.

Totally agree. Several UK forums have been swallowed up by a certain advertising corporation and it has not been for the benefit of those forums. Hopefully FTF will stay the same for a good while yet.

Now that FTF has some new direction, and seeing that sacred fly (new postings) is interested and seems capable, computer wise, in organizing a database of community generated fly patterns, and in that FTF already seems to have something like that only it's in need of being organized.... Would there be mutual interest between site owner/administrators and sacred fly in a joint solution? Or maybe that's wishful thinking.

With all the expertise and talent on this site, with proper organizing it could drive a virtual wikipedia of patterns, including history, related designs, insect driven searches, water driven searches, tier driven searches, material driven searches (including combinations of materials and including tips for handling/using), etc., SBS, entomology info and pics for imitative flies, regional specifics and variations both for bug pics and fly patterns, fly specific fishing techniques.... And it's all here ready to happen, if there's a way to get the pattern database integrated with forum discussion and add useful search features, there's clearly the contributor capacity already in place...

I could be wrong but my guess is this database problem is something like a corruption of the indexes of what is probably an SQL database. If so, you will likely need someone qualified and knowledgeable enough in SQL administration or in whatever the system to determine and solve the specific problems.