Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Hanapaa808

Pedestal Base or C-Clamp....That is the question

Have both, but always preferred C clamp more. Just find it a heck of a lot more stable

I've been toying with getting a pedestal. I have two vises, with C-clamps, but they don't need to be hooked onto the edge of the table/counter. I made a small workspace out of a wooden cutting board, about 10 x 14 inches, and put 3/8 inch rubber feet on the corners. Then I turned my clamps upside down so that the screw clamp is on top, and slid the other part of the C underneath the edge of the board. So my vises are on the edges of the workspace, but the workspace is in the center of a larger counter top.

post-52210-0-59242100-1460587354_thumb.jpg

I use both but prefer to use a C-clamp. If large flies or deer hair flies, C-clamp all the way. If travelling I take both but will use a C-clamp whenever possible. If sitting in a chair watching TV and tying.... a pedestal with a Cheetos tray option, drink cup holder and remote holster. No, really!

Another thing to consider, and it is nothing to ignore, is vise height for long trying sessions. With a pedestal you are stuck with the height of the table plus the height of the vise. I don't know about you guys but my shoulders and neck start to hurt after a while when the vise is too high. Plus the vise is generally farther away from you to. That added reach can take a toll on long tying sessions to.

With a C-clamp, especially with vise extensions (Dynaking makes really good ones), you can adjust the vise to over the table height or under the table height and basically in your lap. This allows your shoulders a more relaxed position and it's easier to tie for longer periods of time; and, the vise is closer to you so the reach factor is eliminated.

C-clamps offer a more anchored and stable vise platform to tie on for most situations and are more adjustable and flexible...in my opinion.

Up until recently, I always tied on a pedestal. I do a fair amount of tying nights and occasionally tie at events and the pedestal is just way more portable in terms of worrying about what the table will be like. However, I recently had shoulder surgery and the C-Clamp has allowed me to get back to tying without the pain I was having tying up at shoulder level with the pedestal. I'll likely stick with the clamp mount even after I'm completely recovered, it's just more comfortable for me having the vise lower.

Stacey

Each has its weaknesses and strengths. A clamp allows you more working room and allows you to choose the best height for you. It also allows you to place a waste basket beneath it and keeps the work are a little cleaner. A pedestal is very convenient for moving around, and if the base is heavy enough, pretty stable. You can place a waste catcher on it, too, but it will limit your work height. I've got a vise light on my stem and it takes up some room. The pedestal limits your vise height, but it's pretty universal and works for most people. To get the vise lower, you have to mount it on a lower desktop.

All this sounds like I'm endorsing the clamp, I'm not. I use a pedestal and sometimes use a clamp.

When I was tying a lot of hair bugs and putting some pressure on the pedestal, I laid down a thin bead of super glue and glued the pedestal to the desk top. Pretty radical, but it worked and wasn't all that difficult to remove.

So either, or both. I think most people start off with pedestals and it seems the majority here stay with them. Your call.

I use a pedestal. Started out using a clamp, but had the issues already mentioned, especially tying away from home at club events or shows where the clamp just didn't fit the table. I use a Danvise and it took me a while to find a base. It's a heavy sucker that doesn't move when I put it on a table.

A lot of vises are interchangeable. The one I got from Cabelas has a C-clamp but they have a stand-alone base that you can use with it.

i think it pays to have a both available because if your traveling you may not always have the perfect set up.

WOW, all of this input is appreciated. I can't believe the response on this forum. This is some great information to take in. I was leaning towards a pedestal base because I'm in a rental and don't really have a garage like most of you. But, now I'm thinking I may need to get both and make the c-clamp work some how because my shoulders are starting to get worse on me with my old age.

Thank you all,

Tony

and don't really have a garage like most of you

Who ties in their garage?

Almost everyone I know does their tying in the house. Some in a den or "man cave", some on the dining room table or a TV tray in the living room, others in a bedroom...but man, if my tying bench was out in the garage, I'd never do it. A big part of the charm, for me, is the convenience. I can sit down and use a free hour or two before bed and turn out a handful of patterns that'll be waiting for me the next time I'm ready to go fishing.

I'm lucky in that mine is a permanent set-up, so if I'm tying, say, parachute BWOs, I can just leave the box of hooks, para-post, hackle, and dubbing sit out, so when I'm ready to tie a few, I can sit down and get right to the task at hand.

If you do go with a C-Clamp might I suggest this clamp from Peak.
It runs $39.95 at Cabelas and everywhere else.
Please note the amount of surface area on the portions that contact with the table.
It also has another 3/8" hole from which you can hang a lamp or accessories with another 3/8" rod.
It also has a screw to lock it in.
You can also flip the bottom foot to adjust for a thinner mounting surface.

CMP-1_cropped_6x6-0040-450x450.jpg

Please note that I have no affiliation with Peak fly fishing.

Kimo

you could buy the pedestal vise and then supplement it with a c-clamp and a longer stem

you could buy the c-clamp vise and then supplement it with a pedestal and a shorter stem

there is no tying commandment that says you cant use a pedestal vise in a c-clamp or vice versa