Fly Tying
ralphs007

Charlie Craven's Basic Fly Tying ?

I'm going to start at the beginning, and tie each fly until I get it right,and then move on to the next chapter,for a new fly and a new technique.

I believe that is the way the book is laid out to provide the tyer with progressive steps that build on the previous ones

You might like this series buy Al Campbell, too. Takes you through all kinds of techniques, each fly in the series requiring more and more skill sets.

Go to http://flyanglersonline.com/

attachicon.gifFAOL.jpg

Thank you ! I wish I'd bought the book,one week sooner! Then I'd have all of my materials purchased and ready to go. It's killing me because were getting tons of rain in PA., so it would be a perfect time to be practicing my tying .

I've been ready a lot about the materials,I'll be using,which is very helpful. One thread here on the forum,covered hackles, it had great videos and articles,and it was very interesting! I'm be looking for more stuff about fly tying materials.

It's killing me because were getting tons of rain in PA., so it would be a perfect time to be practicing my tying .

This is fishing time, not tying time.

While we have gotten a lot of rain, it's been a very dry spring, such that, even with the rain, even the bigger waterways are just going from "very low" to "normal" or "slightly high" conditions. Any smaller streams should be fishing totally fine.

Not saying don't tie, but if the rain is what's convincing you not to get out on the water, you might want to re-think, as I have yet to see a creek in my area of PA that's been too high to fish, except *during* one rain storm. Within 24h it was just fine.

It's killing me because were getting tons of rain in PA., so it would be a perfect time to be practicing my tying .

This is fishing time, not tying time.

While we have gotten a lot of rain, it's been a very dry spring, such that, even with the rain, even the bigger waterways are just going from "very low" to "normal" or "slightly high" conditions. Any smaller streams should be fishing totally fine.

Not saying don't tie, but if the rain is what's convincing you not to get out on the water, you might want to re-think, as I have yet to see a creek in my area of PA that's been too high to fish, except *during* one rain storm. Within 24h it was just fine.

I'm thankful for the rain we've had !The stream I mostly fish,was starting to get a little too low for this time of year. As far as fishing in the rain we had yesterday,those days are over for me.

You must be from another corner of the state than me. Only been one day so far this season that the rain was enough to keep me off the water...and that was more a function of the static in the air.

I have bought, almost all of the materials needed to tie all of the flies in Charlie Cravens book, "Basic Fly Tying". The thing that's been the hardest to find so far, is a Grizzly hen neck. Charlie recommends using a generic barnyard hen,because most genetic hen neck feathers, are almost as slim and pointy as a roosters neck feathers.I really don't think finding a generic hen neck is ever going to happen.

I've seen the Whiting Winger cape's for sale,but I'm not sure if this would be a good choice for the wings on an Adams. Has anyone here ever used these capes, for the wings on an Adams dry fly?

I know the wings aren't really necessary,but for the sake of learning,I'd like to learn the method for adding wings to a dry fly.

I have bought, almost all of the materials needed to tie all of the flies in Charlie Cravens book, "Basic Fly Tying". The thing that's been the hardest to find so far, is a Grizzly hen neck. Charlie recommends using a generic barnyard hen,because most genetic hen neck feathers, are almost as slim and pointy as a roosters neck feathers.I really don't think finding a generic hen neck is ever going to happen.

I've seen the Whiting Winger cape's for sale,but I'm not sure if this would be a good choice for the wings on an Adams. Has anyone here ever used these capes, for the wings on an Adams dry fly?

I know the wings aren't really necessary,but for the sake of learning,I'd like to learn the method for adding wings to a dry fly.

This looks like a very nice one for winging with nice rounded tips at a very good price. I've bought from her there a couple of times, and her stuff is exactly what she claims it is. You also get the item that's pictured, unless it's a spool of tinsel, or flash, or thread etc.

Regards,

Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-4-Natural-Hen-GRIZZLY-Cape-Neck-Feathers-Fly-Tying-/201587637059?hash=item2eef8f3b43:g:hVQAAOSwrb5XPePK

This looks like a very nice one for winging with nice rounded tips at a very good price. I've bought from her there a couple of times, and her stuff is exactly what she claims it is. You also get the item that's pictured, unless it's a spool of tinsel, or flash, or thread etc.

Regards,

Mark

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-4-Natural-Hen-GRIZZLY-Cape-Neck-Feathers-Fly-Tying-/201587637059?hash=item2eef8f3b43:g:hVQAAOSwrb5XPePK

I was checking her stuff out last night,and I sent her a question about the cape you listed in your post. She said there are some #14 and 16# size hackles,but to be honest most are larger feathers. I like how she was up front with me.

Thanks for your help.

I tried to buy from his site last night,but I was having problems adding items on the Winger page into my cart. I figured they were out of stock,so I contacted the owner and he said he's not sold out. I guess there's a bug in his web site,so I'll give it another try.

Thanks for the help.

I'm right handed and tie with my vise facing right- but have always wrapped "backwards" from what is expected. I've had any number of alleged professionals tell me I'm doing it wrong. It's just the way I started as a kid 35 or more years ago, and the fish have never cared.

... tell me I'm doing it wrong.

That's probably just a reference to your Coast Guard history.

I'm right handed and tie with my vise facing right- but have always wrapped "backwards" from what is expected. I've had any number of alleged professionals tell me I'm doing it wrong. It's just the way I started as a kid 35 or more years ago, and the fish have never cared.

Jimmy Hendrix played guitar upside down and backwards,and he was one of the best !