Fly Tying
eisik

I can't choose a rod!

Hi guys and gals

I've been wanting to add a 6wt to my collection for some time and today my wife gave me the go-ahead.

Needless to say I am excited beyond measure.

I don't want to spend to big and have narrowed the possibilities down to a few rods. Fly rods are insanely expensive here in Iceland so what would maybe be regarded as a 'cheapish' rod somewhere else is actually not here.

So the rods are...

TFO BVK 9ft 6wt

Loop Evotec 9'6ft 6wt

Sage Response 9ft 6wt

Sage Approach 9ft 6wt

I fish stillwater and streams pretty much evenly. From dries to size 6 streamers.

I have yet to try these rods and of course that'll be the decider but I just thought I'd get your opinion first, and see if you guys and any other reccomendations.

Kind regards

Eisik

The TFO has great reviews. I'm not a fan of spending big £££ just for a badge.

For the price of some on that list our mod Steve will build a great rod that's unique to you. I wont be buying any more fly rods off the peg.

I own the Loop Evotec 9'6ft in a 7wt & really like it, love the shape of the grip too! I did snap the end piece once, but from my own stupidity! Also it seems to cast much better with the Loop Evotec line then any other line i've tried on it!

Nice feature of the Evotec is that it is available in three actions/flex. It appears that all the Evotecs are available in Medium, Medium Fast and Fast actions. So it would be nice to cast all three variations to see if any one of them meets your casting stroke.

I have a 6 wt from Steve that is awesome. I fish it a lot. Full sink line coupled with a Galvan reel.

Kudu has come up with the best idea ..... Buy one of Steves rods they're a great bit of gear ... I really rate my 5wt

Thanks for the replies guys

I'd like nothing more than ordering a custom built rod from Steve. Thing is that we are already mid-season here in Iceland and i don't think I could handle the wait :)

I'll be trying out the BVK and the Evotec tomorrow. Thinking about giving the Sage rods a pass. Feel I would be paying over the odds for a mediocre rod.

Yes Sage are in my opinion overrated as are a lot of high end priced rods

Most are built by a company in China for 1/5 of the marked price

Then they have their logo printed on it.... I know as I have been approached by Chinese companies a few times lol

Not doubting your decision making process, but...why a 6wt? If the biggest thing I ever had to throw was a #6 weighted streamer, I'd use a 4wt for that use the vast majority of the time.

That point aside, at the price point you seem to be shooting for, I don't think you can really go wrong, quality-wise.

Regarding the bvk 6wt - I almost bought one 7 months ago and was looking specifically at the one with the fighting butt and full wells grip. Doing a little research I discovered that the tfo bvk 5 wt specs out to almost a 6 wt. Some of the modern lines are rated a half size heavy so match up great for my casting style. This 9' rod is my "goto" for wading ponds and float tubing. I had to give up the full wells but glad I went with the 5.

TFO BVK is a very good rod in it's price range. It's stiffness is better suited for streamer fishing than dry fly fishing.