Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FIN-ITE 34

Made in USA waders

I've had the Guide waders for some years now & i wouldn't want to wear anything else in winter, theres some good in that Gortex, Simms waders & layering underneath, you won't feel the cold & other people can't get out of the water fast enough!

I've been wearing the G3's for a couple of years now and recently I had the lining start to fray in the crotch. Mind you that I typically walk at least a couple of miles every outing which is just about every weekend and a day or two during the week and I fish twelve months a year.

So I sent my waders back to Simms for a repair which was $40.00 for their standard repair charge. I wanted to make sure they were done right. Well they not only repaired the frayed area, but also patched a bunch of pin holes that I didn't know I had. But the best part of the repair is they replaced the neoprene booties on both feet. All that for forty bucks. Can't beat that Made in USA service.

I have been using simms for about 15-16 years,actually there the only brand I ever had.I currently own 4 pairs of waders,5 pairs of there boots,and so much other equiptment and clothes I should be a simms poster guy.

I've owned a lot of waders over the years, Simms, Orvis, BPS, Cabelas, Dry as a Bone, Dan Baily etc etc...they all have good and bad points to them just like everything else. Although Simms are good quality and Made in the USA...they are overpriced IMO. Waders should not cost $500-$750 no matter how well they are made.

I've owned a lot of waders over the years, Simms, Orvis, BPS, Cabelas, Dry as a Bone, Dan Baily etc etc...they all have good and bad points to them just like everything else. Although Simms are good quality and Made in the USA...they are overpriced IMO. Waders should not cost $500-$750 no matter how well they are made.

Agreed.

Waders should not cost $500-$750 no matter how well they are made.

ohmy.png

I've got a good pair of waders Wife bought me from somewhere online for $80.00 or so.

I wasn't even interested enough in the "Simms" waders to go look them up.

As much as I would like to support American made products ... I can't afford to.

I only know one thing about waders and I'm glad to share it with everybody. ALL waders leak.

I've been wearing the G3's for a couple of years now and recently I had the lining start to fray in the crotch. Mind you that I typically walk at least a couple of miles every outing which is just about every weekend and a day or two during the week and I fish twelve months a year.

So I sent my waders back to Simms for a repair which was $40.00 for their standard repair charge. I wanted to make sure they were done right. Well they not only repaired the frayed area, but also patched a bunch of pin holes that I didn't know I had. But the best part of the repair is they replaced the neoprene booties on both feet. All that for forty bucks. Can't beat that Made in USA service.

I had the BOA lock in my boot tear out of the tongue a few months ago after about 5 years and sent the waders in for the free inspection as well, I only paid the shipping cost to get the products to Montana and about 2 weeks later I had a brand new pair of boots and repaired waders. I tried 4 pairs of less than $100 waders before I got sick of buying a new pair every year. I bought the cheapest Simms waders that were actually made with gortex and they have been great. 5 years no issue and free repair can't beat that cost vs useful lifetime they provide.

I started out some years back with a pair of Simms Freestone Stockingfoot waders and I beat the living bejesus out of them fishing as in my previous post. I had absolutely no complaints with those waders and I got terrific service life out of them. I was starting to develop a small leak where the bootie is connected to the fabric so I figured it was time to retire them and I purchased the G3's. After getting the G3's I figured that I would send in the Freestones to see if they could be repaired with the expectation that if it cost a few bucks to have fixed I would have a back-up pair just in case. Well I was contacted by Simms that the booties could not be replaced on the Freestones and as I was about to tell them to just toss them in the bin, when they said they were sending out a new replacement pair, free of charge. Could have knocked me over with a feather with that reply. I will never buy another brand of waders after that.