Fly Tying
richz

Clip on Magnifiers

This past weekend I realized I need some help getting the tippet through the hook eye. Was looking at those clip on magnifiers. Does anyone else use them. They come in different powers so how do you decide which power you need?

I have been using the Flip-Focal magnifiers in the 2.5X power for years. I like the FF because they are light weight and the hat clip keeps it in the correct position on the hat brim. The only drawback is the lens is plastic and you should take care of where you put your hat when not in use as the lens will scratch. However I have some liquid plastic polish that I use to buff out any light scratching I may have and they come up looking like new again.

I typically get about 4-5 years out of a pair before the sunlight breaks down the plastic hat clip.

You will see some ads that state the magnification is 2.25X but I believe that is incorrect because I just checked the box and it says 2.5X.

The 3.5X is fine except that it has a very short focal length and you need to get the object too close to your face to focus.

Interesting. Can you use them while wearing glasses?

Interesting. Can you use them while wearing glasses?

Yes. I wear distance glasses and have no problems with the Flip-Focals.

Flip them down and tie. Flip them up and back to fishing. There is nothing easier.

For me, reading glasses don't cut it for tying on a size 26 trico in the early morning. Additionally flip downs are much easier and less trouble than having to switch glasses.

Bifocals seem to be doing just fine for me, at the moment. But then, I don't tie or fish with anything smaller than a 10, usually.

Been using the clip on magnifiers for a couple years. They work great are super light and I use them while wearing prescription glasses. I have a cheap pair that probably cost around 5 bucks.

Prescription polarized bifocals sunglasses from 39DollarGlasses.com. They cost a lot more that $39, but much cheaper that most places.

Got a cheap pair of clip on fold downs by Cortland that work ok. Definitely not the best but for $7 bucks at my local Walmart I can't complain too much. I couldn't tie on a fly or lure on the water without them but wouldn't use them at the tying bench.

Kevin.... the Amazon ad says they're $15 .... where did you get them for under 10?

This is the company that makes the Flip-Focals.

http://www.edroyproducts.com/magnifocuser1.html

I am an engraver by trade and have been wearing the Magni-Focusers in 1.75X for engraving for over 40 years. The lenses in these are the same as are in the Flip-Focals that I use for fishing.

I can't speak to the optical quality of the other brands, but I can say that the EdRoy products are extremely good.