Fly Tying
TedderX

The Fly Review

I am going to occasionally post pictures of flies that I have tied, and you guys give me constructive criticism on things you would do differently to improve them.

Since I'm relatively new to fly tying I figure this will be a good way to learn some things.

"All Purpose" Nymph

13781741_10209586396484335_8879612972034

Black Wooly Worm

13886937_10209600428955138_5893393503186

Yellow Wooly Worm

13876154_10209600431235195_2115991453080

Renegade

WP_20160807_003_zpsuucdoz6i.jpg

And then a bunch of others I'm too ashamed of to post. I call them practice flies. Lol. Stretch tubing scud, fur ant, poly wing caddis, wooly bugger, foam beetle, inch worm, bead head nymph.

Great job on all those flies ... but you gotta put some TAIL on those things !!!

I prefer the look of the Wooly Bugger to that of the Wooly Worm, so the tail is appropriate for what you tied, but I like some tail.

I know that all SOUNDS wrong, but I'm talking about the flies.

Back to your flies ... they look much better than anything I tied when starting out. Actually, they look better than some of the flies I tie NOW.

Great work.

Nice neat heads

I like the palmered hackle on that wooly worm

The nymph is a trout catcher for sure.

Very nice ties !

Not picking anything apart but will say that on the nymph, before I fished it, I would pluck a few hairs out the bottom of the thorax area. It's fine the way it is too though but you might find you get more strikes with some wiggling fibers showing.

that black/grizzly woollly worm looks about perfect. It is one fly I would not be without anywhere in fresh water. I've caught all manner of fish on them. When I was a small kid, that exact pattern was what I caught my first fly-rod trout with.

Agree with cold, good renegade if wet but wrong hackle (or at least there are better choices) for dry.

For the worms I agree with Mike, you can always trim tails shorter at the water if fish nip short but often the extra movement from longer tail is needed to attract attention and you cant add it later.

I do agree but just suggesting a little extra, not a wagging dog tail full, more a fat bunny tail allows a bit of tweaking on the water and might make a difference on the day.

My comments are based more on my personal preference than anything.

On the nymph I would try for more taper to the abdomen.

On the Wooly worms, I prefer at least one full turn of hackle in front of the chenille.

On the Renegade the hackle is much too long.

I'll sound off again, the tails on your woolly WORMS are precisely well done. Trimmed off just about even with the outside bend of the hook. In the past decade or so, we've all heard about tying nymphs and wet flies with a "hot spot" of fluorescent thread- well that tail is pretty much that same concept only pre-dating it by a few centuries. A package of fluorescent red egg-fly yarn contains just about a lifetime supply of the good material to make woolly worm tails.

Thank you everyone for the comments!

On the renegade, can you be specific on what hackles I should be using? I'll look into purchasing the correct kind.

On to another, brassie. This is likely why I'll never tie anything smaller than a size 16, i just about durn couldn't see the thing, let alone tie it. Lol

13516282_10209349757008496_9096904388277