Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
add147

Regal Revolution Vise...How many tie on them???

And you are FAR more qualified than i in your dissection of the process. . I just know they have a problem they choose to ignore rather than address. That is the real problem. Once they acknowledge the problem....I am certain they WILL find an answer. Right now they don't want to acknowledge that there is a problem.

If they would fix it they would be my best vise choice...But for now...i tie Nor-vice,

I found that over the years the jaws will break if the hook slips out or if you try to pinch the barbs of hooks.

And you are FAR more qualified than i in your dissection of the process. . I just know they have a problem they choose to ignore rather than address. That is the real problem. Once they acknowledge the problem....I am certain they WILL find an answer. Right now they don't want to acknowledge that there is a problem.

If they would fix it they would be my best vise choice...But for now...i tie Nor-vice,

Let me ask this question, to which I bet the answer is pretty obvious. Has the Nor-Vise jaws ever chipped ?

why do people get so butt sore about a fly tying forum....jezuz.....

anyway...I tie on a revolution and I love it. I have the big game jaws. I tie from an 8/0 all the way down to a #14 with no problem....id much prefer the stainless jaws for smaller flies of course.

Pros:

Easy to use.

Super fast.

Super durable.

Feels solid - no plastic, very smooth bearing etc...

Cons:
Expensive AF

Using those fancy "articulation shanks" are a paint in the rear (trick - invert the vise upside down and put the shank in at a 45 degree angle -- when the hook is dangling off the rear)

Some people get super defensive against Regal sometimes ---see this thread.

If you tie alot of big flies or deer hair bugs - - you NEED the big game. The two grooves hold the hook much better than the smooth jawed stainless jaws hold. The huge amount of additional pressure from a hair packer will slip every time on the stainless.

I found that over the years the jaws will break if the hook slips out or if you try to pinch the barbs of hooks.

This is what the midge jaws on my Regal currently look like after 16 years of use, and pinching down the barbs on hundreds of hooks before I start tying on them for fishing. As you can see, the metal is curled slightly towards the upper near edge, but that's about it. I've never spit a hook either, going all the way down to a TMC 518 #32. The curve on the jaw tips make them too big to hold a Mustad 277 size 32 hook.

Regards,

Mark

post-12032-0-29992200-1475259996_thumb.jpg

Mark, what model Regal is that with the midge jaws and would those jaws hold say a #6 or possibly #4 hook ? I like the looks of those.

Edit: I looked it up and the description says size 6 to 28 at Fish USA.

Hook and Hackle says 6/0-32, works best with trout sized hooks.

J Stockard says 6-32 for the hook size.

Mark, what model Regal is that with the midge jaws and would those jaws hold say a #6 or possibly #4 hook ? I like the looks of those.

Hi Dave,

You can go larger than size 6 just by setting the hook a little farther back in the jaws. They don't call them the Bulldog of the bench vise for nothing ! When packing spun hair on larger sized hooks, the hook shank will start bending before it does anything like slipping in those jaws. I don't tie big bass flys like size 1 and larger with it. That's why I bought the midge head. I tie lots of streamers with it too.

I would think that the best place to go for the information is at the Regal website.

"Midge Head

The Midge head has been specially designed for tying small flies down to size32 and as big as size 6. The ergonomically designed forefront provides the tier the comfort of tying small flies but allows for tying traditional sized flies as well."

http://regalvise.com/vises.html

I would think that the best place to go for the information is at the Regal website.

"Midge Head

The Midge head has been specially designed for tying small flies down to size32 and as big as size 6. The ergonomically designed forefront provides the tier the comfort of tying small flies but allows for tying traditional sized flies as well."

http://regalvise.com/vises.html

Yes but Regal didn't list the Sale items that were in my email. Thanks for the Regal view though !

I have sent back some regal vise's that looked like the edges were eaten away. Mind you over ten years I only sent back 3 or 4 jaws, while the jaws for my barracuda have been sent back many times for matting. I sent five jaws back and dynaking wanted over a hundred dollars to redo them.

Sent back the very first Regal Medallion jaws from a hook spitting out even though the hook was inserted far enough back back in the '80's. Shipping costs only. Those replacement jaws were sent back some 25 years later when a size #32 flew out chipping the jaws & into the next dimension as it still hasn't been found ! Cost to replace was for a new set of jaws. Maybe tried a #12 2X dry fly hook to check them & see if it would hold for tying grasshopper/cricket patterns as the new Revolution seemed to lack the holding power for smaller hooks. First Revolution with 3 slot jaws chipped when chose the wrong slot for a tarpon size hook & sent them back, but only got a choice of a 2 slot jaws or the stainless at full replacement price; so went for big game jaws & larger saltwater hooks.

Sent back the very first Regal Medallion jaws from a hook spitting out even though the hook was inserted far enough back back in the '80's. Shipping costs only. Those replacement jaws were sent back some 25 years later when a size #32 flew out chipping the jaws & into the next dimension as it still hasn't been found ! Cost to replace was for a new set of jaws. Maybe tried a #12 2X dry fly hook to check them & see if it would hold for tying grasshopper/cricket patterns as the new Revolution seemed to lack the holding power for smaller hooks. First Revolution with 3 slot jaws chipped when chose the wrong slot for a tarpon size hook & sent them back, but only got a choice of a 2 slot jaws or the stainless at full replacement price; so went for big game jaws & larger saltwater hooks.

And you're fine with all this ?

At this age with all the health issues, when I actually start tying again it will suffice. The first Medallion replacement jaws lasted years & expect the Revolution replacement jaws to last even longer despite not having the 3 hook slot jaws for sale since there was a slight imperfection in their design as they were discontinued. Wasn't much sense trying to go back to tying on a Thompson A or a small machinist vise for saltwater sized hooks compared to using a Regal. Most every other tying vise has too many adjustments to get different hook sizes set properly, especially if tying just a few #3/0 EP tarpon flies & then a few #12 cricket/hopper bass-crappie patterns; else tying on them might be simpler than squeeze & insert hook for one elbow with tennis elbow & the other golfers elbow despite the fact of having to switch between 2 Regal jaws; which probably wouldn't be necessary if letting up on thread tension from saltwater tying to freshwater patterns.

At this age with all the health issues, when I actually start tying again it will suffice. The first Medallion replacement jaws lasted years & expect the Revolution replacement jaws to last even longer despite not having the 3 hook slot jaws for sale since there was a slight imperfection in their design as they were discontinued. Wasn't much sense trying to go back to tying on a Thompson A or a small machinist vise for saltwater sized hooks compared to using a Regal. Most every other tying vise has too many adjustments to get different hook sizes set properly, especially if tying just a few #3/0 EP tarpon flies & then a few #12 cricket/hopper bass-crappie patterns; else tying on them might be simpler than squeeze & insert hook for one elbow with tennis elbow & the other golfers elbow despite the fact of having to switch between 2 Regal jaws; which probably wouldn't be necessary if letting up on thread tension from saltwater tying to freshwater patterns.

I see. Yeah, I've had my share of health issues in the last year as well, though nothing that would hinder tying as yet.

I see. Yeah, I've had my share of health issues in the last year as well, though nothing that would hinder tying as yet.

New meaning for getting lucky at any age.............