Fly Tying

Kimo,

Just thinking what I might have done differently to get the balance right. It may be that I removed the push it thread retainer on the end of the spools.

Cheers,

C.

The Stonfo Elite disc drag bobbin is if not the best fly tying tool I've ever had and the most expensive (Even over my vise which cost me $12) at $21. This bobbin comes in three models Original, Compact, and Saltwater Streamer. This bobbin has a drag system to it so you could have it loose (on small flies) and tight on saltwater flies. I'm wondering what you guys think of this bobbin, and how it compares to the rite bobbin? Tie On!

Hi,

I like my Stonfo. It all depends though. I also like my old Dorian. I also like my Jvice bobbin holder.

Sort of depends on my mood, I think. I have to add that I have ordered the Petijean bobbin holder as I think he really addresses the tier's concerns. I like the easy way you can thread it; the easy tensioning arm; and the ability to use different sized thread bobbins.

What poopdeck said, and if was going to go a bobbin costing big $$$ it would be the Norvise system with the automatic rewind. And the Stonflo transformer vise is soon going to be on my desk if I could just quit buying rod and reels I never use.

I have that same problem. There is a flee market every weekend by me. I seem to have some kind of radar on who is selling rods and reels.

Kimo,

The new TMC Magnetic adjustable bobbin spins pretty good, I have been tying with it for 2 weeks. It's a lot better than the rite bobbin. The Petijean bobbin and the original TMC bobbin spin the best.

carlp

New Tiemco Magnetic Bobbin on the left and New Tiemco Dual Arm on the right.
For the price the original Tiemco is still the best. The Petitijean Bobbin threader will not work with 17/0 Uni
which is my main thread.
Kimo

since there is no real need to spin a bobbin holder at 1750 rpm to twist or untwist an inch or two of thread, whats the big problem here?

if you spin it hard enough and even the original tiemco ceramic bobbin holder will wobble

I don't remember who it was but one famous tier from the states used to do a day long class just on thread control. The main technique for this is spinning the bobbin. Add in the split thread techniques and you spend a lot of time spinning the bobbin. I spin the bobbin every time I do a whip finish, as one made with twisted thread only tightens up to the twisted thread. When you cut the thread the loose end unravels and the whip finish is loose.

With all this spinning is a major factor in tying, hence why I no longer use the Rite bobbin holders I once had. There is no call for huge speed, but a good bobbin does need to spin well.

Cheers,

C.

I like my thread to lay as flat as possible. I don't spin my bobbin to twist thread. If I do get some twist when applying materials it will untwist when I let go of it when I pick up the next material or tool.

I agree a good bobbin does not have to spin well. The intended design is to hold a spool of thread. So what is a good bobbin? How well does it hold the spool of thread? How easy is it to load? Does it break the thread? But most important, How does it feel in your hand?

Some of the bobbins I have I got a show in Chicago for only $1 each. I bought several because I felt I have spent more on worse. I loaded every spool of thread I used regularly at the time. Those $1 bobbins I like better than my Tiemco's.

I understand this was last year's topic, but I wanted to add my 2 cents! I have tried them all, from cheapo's, to Rite, Stonefo and Tiemco, and I had problems with all of them. I finally got a Smhaen, and once I got used to it, I really like it... sorry I didn't get it a long time ago...

SD

Yep it is, but the TMC Magnetic bobbin is not only more expensive, but very difficult to change spools and get it to work correctly (thread tension) without a whole lot of fussing around with it...

That's very nice Spokane, way out of my bobbin budget but if I was going to work spring for a fancy bobbin holder it would probably be that.

Well, I certainly understand that feeling (been there, done that!)... I am retired, and each month I have a small amount left over after the bills are paid that I can use for "whatever"... otherwise, I wouldn't be able to enjoy the perks of fly tying and fishing! :-}