Fly Tying
Brodrash

Skagit Casting and a Paddleboard

Brodrash,

I find Captain Quinn very entertaining as well. Just a little off the beaten path. His videos make me fantasize about moving to northern B.C. and learning to spey cast.

Les

Les,

He is in some beautiful country that's for sure! I've been wanting to share his video about jargon and lingo that fly fisherman ( especially young flyfisherman) use haha. When I get off work I'll post a link in "The Lodge Forum"

Mike, Im guessing you're a Marine? My Dad was in the Navy so I have heard all about you Marines! lol

Correct, Mike is a Marine- so make sure you type slowly in all your posts so he can keep up.... biggrin.pngbiggrin.png !!!

LOL Funny guy, JS.

Yes, Brodrash, I used to be a Marine. I realize the Marines are a department of the Navy. We're the Men's Department.

And the Coast Guard are the people who come get us when the Navy boats sink.

(That's why we like the Coast Guard more than the Navy)

It's normal, and all in good fun, between the military forces.

At least it should be.

Yes, Mike we should encourage a few sharp elbows here. Will tell you my Bias.

The generation of guys to which I looked up, taught me everything on hunting, fishing, and BIGSTUFF, All, WWII Vets X 4, were 3 USMC, 1 USN. Uncle USN claimed to be the smartest brother. All USMC brothers agreed, but only SECRETLY....

I have a couple stand up paddle boards. I can only paddle them. No way would i be able to keep my balance to fly fish. But have use it to get to places to fish. Its not a boat, so you would be always drifting. But on a small lake or pond where wind or current is not a problem, very doable is you have good balance. I would use a SUP for pleasure and get a kayak. Anchor down. And better equipped for fishing. Same prices and weight.

Do you know the difference between a Tarantula and a female Coastie?

A Tarantula has EIGHT hairy legs....

OK, I apologize for this going way off topic. Stand-up Paddleboards are cool.

post-10077-0-47698600-1481420988_thumb.jpg

post-10077-0-18640000-1481421010_thumb.jpg

Steering back to fishing topics---

KAYAK, you can stand on that motha, paddle up -right, throw three-handed, if your guide has to snag your wading belt or PFD. Maybe a ...Sit on top..tandem... 12 feet an up... 30-36 inch beam...outriggers optional...pedal,drive optional... would cover your budget and provide a reasonably versatile and stable fishing platform. Stand. Sit. Swim. just be ready for whatever water temperature you will meet.

Like my outfitter style SOT, going on year 11; most relaxing watercraft for SERIOUS Fishing....

I fish from my paddleboard for everything from bluegill to musky and some saltwater when I can make the trips but I do the standard one handed casting and it is a blast. My board is too short, 10', and turns on a dime compared to a longer board and would not work for spey casting, as pulling the anchor off the water would turn the board and take away from the efficiency of the cast. That being said you can paddle to where you need to cast and make a shorter single hand cast.