Fly Tying
tmartin412

Rod and Reel Club or Fishing Club with Water Access

This sounds sort of like a Country Club. They have a restaurant and Pro Shop. Sounds good until they tell you are expected to spend X amount of $ in each one each year. If you don't they send you a bill for what you didn't spend. If you don't pay it, bye, bye membership.

WTF is that about??? I'd laugh like hell while telling them to get bent. I don't begrudge anyone in their financial success, God knows I will never be fortunate enough to acquire membership in any "club" the likes of that, but in my life experience financial means do not equal douchebaggery.

This sounds sort of like a Country Club. They have a restaurant and Pro Shop. Sounds good until they tell you are expected to spend X amount of $ in each one each year. If you don't they send you a bill for what you didn't spend. If you don't pay it, bye, bye membership.

WTF is that about??? I'd laugh like hell while telling them to get bent. I don't begrudge anyone in their financial success, God knows I will never be fortunate enough to acquire membership in any "club" the likes of that, but in my life experience financial means do not equal douchebaggery.

D Baggery has never been more rampant than now... in the USA... could get worse

JS, hate to tell you this ... but this is the private Golf course model. Nice tax write off... for those who get the company to pay up, under the guise of market development. But, who picks up the slack? Other taxpayers... namely, Wage earners.... no room to deduct much, if everything is right there on a W-2...

Gotta stop now, US politics makes my head explode... vowing to fish more, tie more, FORGET about all the rest of it. Sorry Bimini15, I should not have gone here.. this post is hypocritical... but I had to say it... # paying.fair.taxes.is.Patriotic.

JS,

That model is how most of the private clubs that offer restaraunts and shops that are geared to their sport are operated. They are subject to the same health department laws as restaraunts and shops the general public frequent. They must have the staffing to operate those facilities. The only way to insure they can operate is to invoice the membership. That is part of the cost of member ship you are informed of when joining.

The original post was asking the question what experiences can be expected in a setup such as this. That is a question he needs to ask. There are some folks that just consider this the price of admission to an exclusive club. It's not for me.

I guess that's like saying the dues are $5k a year (random not trying to be anywhere close) but only half is upfront you have to spend at least the rest in the pro shop and reasturant?

Typically an initial joining fee, an annual membership fee and a minimum monthly spend in the club shop(s) and or restaurant.

Reading this thread ... I am SOOO glad I am not a member of any club.

We made sure the neighborhood we bought our house in doesn't even have an HOA.

Not all private fishing clubs are created equal. I belong to one. No restaurants, tackle shops, mandatory keeping or hidden fees. Amenities are limited to chemical toilets, picnic tables and campsites at some locations. The cost is less than many health clubs and better for my mental health. It gives me access to close to 20 stillwater sites and about that many river sites, within a short distance of my home. Most of the stillwaters are C&R. The trout that are stocked are larger and healthier than what the state stocks in public waters. A couple of the sites allow keeping a few and are stocked with more typical pelletheads, mostly for kids. A couple of the sites are focused more on warmwater fishing. I still prefer fishing the many public waters of my state but many of those require a much longer drive.

Watch the poor OP show up to one of these down to earth clubs with all these questions about minimum fees and expenses at the restaurant just to have them deny his membership for sounding too much like a city slick, country club type... :D

Relatively new member to the forum and I've tried the search option and did not see what I was hoping for, so here goes. I'm currently evaluating a fishing club with private water access in PA. Amenities include water access and privately stocked section, restrooms, tackle shop, and BYOB restaurant. Hi faulting fishing for some, I'm sure, but I like the concept of a dedicated Money hole of sorts with good support and a community feel. Lot's of events for kids and plenty of perks for other things at additional cost (trips, shop discount, etc). The cost to join is not outrageous but not cheap and price goes down a bit after you join. Any other questions I should ask? Anyone with experience in these types of settings?

Thanks in advance!

There...I fixed that one sentence for ya'. If you can afford ALL the fees and expected expenditures and it does give you some quality water to spread out on, great. If it's like some of the private stocked ponds I've checked into before you're better off looking for land on a creek someplace.

I would avoid the Club with private access. I would personally prefer a regular fly fishing club. Look for one that has regular monthly meetings with guest speakers.and fishing outings with club members. This is the type of club I belong too. Are membership dues go towards paying for guest speaker. We also have a fund raising club auction each year and a family picnic. Getting to know the other members and learning new places to fish is what makes this type of club worthwhile.

This.

Trout Unlimited is a good one if they have an active chapter near you.

Typically an initial joining fee, an annual membership fee and a minimum monthly spend in the club shop(s) and or restaurant.

I guess if you are aware of that before you sign, then it is your own dumbass fault. Even if I had the money to waste, I wouldn't. Can't wait til I win the powerball and buy my C-130 airborne RV fishing club. Already have Mikechell as Crew Chief. Only "cost" of membership will be to NOT be a douchebag. Parachutes on board for any who turns out to be one.

I guess if you are aware of that before you sign, then it is your own dumbass fault. Even if I had the money to waste, I wouldn't. Can't wait til I win the powerball and buy my C-130 airborne RV fishing club. Already have Mikechell as Crew Chief. Only "cost" of membership will be to NOT be a douchebag. Parachutes on board for any who turns out to be one.

Where's our first trip ?

Can't wait til I win the powerball and buy my C-130 airborne RV fishing club. Already have Mikechell as Crew Chief. Only "cost" of membership will be to NOT be a douchebag. Parachutes on board for any who turns out to be one.

Any trips to the fortune teller ... to get an idea of when we start flights?

Don't trust fortune tellers.

I once went to one. Knocked on the door... The moment she said "who is it?" I knew it was a scam...

Think about it.

I am the same way about the "telephone fortune people".

If I need my fortune told, one of them should've called me by now.