Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Flat Rock native

Crosscut Zonkers... All DIY Suggestions Needed

Perhaps this should appear in Beginners forum but here goes

I have some rabbit pieces dyed in several multi-hued colors. Tried to cut some strips but it quickly became a disaster. I mostly ended up with loose fibers suitable for split-thread, spinning and twisting. And mostly hairless strips.

Hoping someone could describe the bests tools for this job and a method to prepare some 1/8 th Cross-cut strips. I am pretty well stocked with regular zonkers but could use X-cuts.

At this point I am not even sure which direction to cut the hide, how to find the "grain" or to cut across it.

Any resources of which others could tell me about will be greatly appreciated.

Will also being doing some online searches but I fear gettting 100's of hits on places selling the ready-made products. Many thanks!

The grain isn't the hide, look at the hair. It will naturally lay back one direction. (Nose to tail on the live critter) from what I understand if you stretch the hide with something where it's not flat against a surface, when you cut it won't cut the hairs off. But don't take my word that's remembering prior posts and articles. I've never tried it. Best of luck bud.

Can't remember who, but someone here had a tool made with multiple razors separated by washers to the right thickness and held together with two nuts and bolts.

Thanks, Bimini and Fisherboy, these are good leads and things to know. I saw that homemade razor tool recently too, here or another source but need to re-stumble upon it. Cutting it on the flat surface, now that I know not to do it, most likely created the biggest problem.

Many thanks

Just in case ... cut from the hide side, not through the hair. You can set a razor so that you are almost cutting through the hide, then gently tear the strips apart. Absolutely no hair cut this way.

In the link I posted, I think he clamped one end onto to table top with a board and a clamp and then stretched it out, probably by holding the other end, when he cut it.

If you want you can also cut 90degs to the grain for cross cut strips. These are great for wrapping bodies on streamers.

AGN54 Shows the cutter I made and use. I have nothing to compare too, but this works great for me. Just be sure to cut from the back side of the pelt. Seems to cut less hair when you do. I have bags and bags of zonkers I have cut with this.

Thew 'trick' to me is getting the hide stretched enough to make the cuts - seems to be my limiting factor. I need to come up with a 'frame' that will help stretch the hide so I can get my fingers out of the way and maximize how many strips I can cut out of a hide. I haven't come up with such a frame to date but, one day perhaps...

Also I can see that I may need to readjust the hide in the frame in order to maintain a stretched hide - tight enough to make the cuts - and as has been mentioned - cut from the hide side NOT the hair side. If you stretch the hide in 'free air' or space - meaning that the hair is not laying down on another surface like a cutting board or table - you should NOT cut so much hairs as hide too.

BCT

Just PM Fatman he will share on how he dose his .. He a hell of a nice guy he went into great detailed how he did it on another board..

Steve-stabgnid