Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Rolf Jacobsen

Hackle Storage....one more time

So I’ve been using these

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000QRCFB4/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I’ve just now decided to place them in every sealed plastic envelope for a neck or saddle. In the past, I would place the individual necks/saddles in their own plastic zip locks and store them in a large plastic storage box with the packets in the box. My concern is will adding the packets to each individual bag, cause the cape/saddle to smell enough to be detrimental to having a fly that catches fish? Please forgive me if I’m over thinking this.

By the time the fly tied hits the water the smell will have dissipated.

I use the moth crystals in a lot of my materials, and have even gotten a few of those packs. I've also purchased many materials over the years that had the odor of moth ball or crystals & have yet to see that it's had any negative affect on catching fish with the flies. I put some of those packs in several of my fly boxes.

As Mogup said, it dissipates quickly enough once you handle the materials, tie the flies, put them in a fly box & then ultimately fish with them.

ive never seen it necessary to place any kind of moth balls/crystals in any of my 35+ year old materials

to each their own

Hi Rolf,

I use that exact same brand, but I've been buying them from my local Walmart for the last several years so they're not as much. I only add one packet to the entire bin that I have my dry fly capes and saddles in. You don't need a packet in each bag if you have them in any type of semi airtight storage container. For new natural items that you want to quarantine, definitely stick a packet into the bag.

Regards,

Mark

I have a lingerie chest that I keep all of my caps, saddles, feathers, and bird skins in. Each drawer has aromatic cedar chips.

There are only two types of fly tyers:

Those who HAVE HAD pest damage,

and

Those who are GOING TO HAVE pest damage.

If you have not experienced it, you will. You may have gone your entire lifetime so far without noticing it. A few paradichlorobenzene balls here and there is cheap insurance.

Lots of older threads on here about the same subject. The same pests which eat our feathers and other natural materials are the same pests which can destroy priceless museum specimens of insects, birds, etc. I've got collections of insects which I have collected from parts of the world I know I am never going back to - at the right place and time anyway. Lots of research done on this topic. Time-tested, well proven chemical warfare is the only answer. If you want to trust luck, or believe cedar chips will keep your specimens protected, more power to ya. Paradichlorobenzene is cheap, relatively harmless at the concentrations any sane person would use, and KILLS pests as well as repels new invaders. Cedar, even potent aromatic cedar oil, is only a repellent at best. The essential oils vaporize relatively quickly- the effect does not last. You can do a dance and rattle some chicken bones over your collection too. I saw a preacher on TV make a deaf guy hear and a blind guy see the other day too. Maybe you can call him when you find that first pile of dust and shed dermestid larva skin...

Bottom line, without a little bit of protection you are on borrowed time.

I've never seen it necessary to have any car insurance in my 35+ years of driving,since I never had an accident

to each their own

If I am not mistaken ... the "bug" that can destroy your furs and feathers are already present in EVERY home.

Most of the dust in our homes is made up of skin cells. There are "dust" mites who live on those cells. But dust mites live on organic material, and if they find your stash of feathers with a little moisture, an they are set for generations.

If I am not mistaken ... the "bug" that can destroy your furs and feathers are already present in EVERY home.

Most of the dust in our homes is made up of skin cells. There are "dust" mites who live on those cells. But dust mites live on organic material, and if they find your stash of feathers with a little moisture, an they are set for generations.

The most prevalent scavenger which will destroy natural materials is any of a number of species of Dermestid Beetles. Actually the larvae. Yes they are generally present in every home in North America at least. They are more commonly called "carpet beetles". They find enough to eat in the floors and carpets of our home, scattered food particles mostly, cast off skin and hair, etc. If they find access to food in your cupboard it's possible for them to go many generations, as you pointed out. Yes dust mites are absolutely present but don't pose nearly the threat to materials that Dermestids pose. Much less common but also present are clothes-moths. Also just the larvae which destroy wool and natural materials. On two occasions I've had an entire box of flies destroyed while sitting in my garage over the course of a year or so. I've also found the very rare cast off larval skin in a bag of natural materials. I've also seen evidence of them in insect collections, which on the basic level are made up of the same types of materials as our feathers and furs for fly tying.

I don't use anything except sealed bags and sealed plastic containers. Although I am the group of never having a material destroying pest I have no fear of invaders and have no plans on taking any additional precautions in the future.

Another "trick" is to get a flea collar or a no-pest-strip and cut it up into small sections. Place one section in each plastic container. It's good for a couple of years.

The pesticide would probably be toxic to fish in high concentrations, but the minuscule bit that gets on a single hackle feather doesn't cause any problem.

Another "trick" is to get a flea collar or a no-pest-strip and cut it up into small sections. Place one section in each plastic container. It's good for a couple of years.

The pesticide would probably be toxic to fish in high concentrations, but the minuscule bit that gets on a single hackle feather doesn't cause any problem.

I have been using No Pest Strips for years, but I'm going to stop. I hate the smell of moth crystals, so No Pest Strips seemed like a better alternative. I cut up the strips and put a piece in each fur or feathers bin.

This is definitely against the recommended safe practice. After reading up on No Pest Strips yesterday, here are the latest safe handling rules.

• Never touch the strips with bare skin, the stuff is carcinogenic and can transfer through contact
  • Don't cut the strips
  • Don't use them in occupied rooms. There meant for sheds and attics. No Pest Strips shouldn't really be used in your tying room

I can stop touching them and cutting them, but I sit near my tying materials for many hours a day. I don't see a practical way to move my tying materials to another room. I'm sad as this has worked for me for over 10 years.

If anyone is interested, No Pest Strips use Dichlorvos (2,2-dichlorovinyl dimethyl phosphate) as the active incredient.

Here's the SDS:

For use in unoccupied areas; not for use in homes except garages, attics, crawl spaces, and sheds occupied by people for less than 4 hours per day.