Fly Tying
bass master

Rod Tubes needed.

I'm with Flytire on this one -- unless I'm just moving a short distance from one spot to another to continue fishing, The rod gets broken down, wiped down and stored in a padded rod/reel case before the waders and boots even come off. The ONE time I failed to stick to this rule, I ended up driving off with the rod & reel lying on top of the car. I was lucky that nothing broke when it fell onto the gravel road, but it scratched the hell out of my favorite Ross reel. Never again.

I know I am the odd man out, here, when it comes to equipment. I've never "named" a car or motorcycle. Never felt bad about selling or trashing an item of any kind.

I buy inexpensive rods and reels ... just so I can treat them inexpensively. It's no big deal if I break a rod, or scratch a reel. If it works, I keep on using it. If it breaks, I replace it. So far, they've handled every fish I've caught, all the way up to 6 pound bass and over 10 pound Bowfin.

I do have two rods, now, from http://www.midwestcustomflyrods.com/ ... which I feel the need to take a little better care of, but even those are used hard. I don't expect them to last forever. They get handled a little more carefully, but I still don't put them in tubes or socks.

Mike I'm definitely with you on naming vehicles...I've never understood that. :) My gear isn't expensive, either--of my 9 or 10 fly rods, only two of them cost much over $100, and those were both bought at the suggestion of my wife, both times because I'd broken a favorite (inexpensive) rod that I'd built myself and had become fond of. Ironically, I'm probably less "attached" to those two more expensive Sage rods because I just bought them instead of making them myself.

The Ross reel that I dinged up was a Cimarron--at the time, their entry-level reel (before they started building some of their reels overseas), and I got it used for $50. I just like it. What made me feel bad is that I scratched it up out of carelessness. If it had sustained battle scars from actual fishing, or fighting off a rabid wolverine or something, I'd have had no problem with that.

I generally agree with you--gear is made to be used. That's why I'll probably never own a bamboo rod--I'd be too afraid of breaking it to get proper use out of it. It's also one of two reasons (the other being that I'm too poor :) ) that I won't own "collector" rods. I don't see the point of owning tools that you don't use.

I keep my rods and reels in one of these.

+1. I now have two of these, one for all my rods and one for all my reels. I have a rod rack in the SUV and/or just keep them in my drifter, but over time they will start to rub where the supports for the rods are from driving. If you want your rod to be completely safe, nothing beats a tube.

I like my tackle and heve fairly expensive rods and reels. I have a case from Orvis similar to shoebop. Can carry a 4 piece 4wt, 6wt and 8wt which pretty much covers me, and the associated reels and spools, tippet etc. Perfect in the boat or on the quad, as I rarely walk and wade very far these days

Buy a big enough truck and the truck is the best rod case ever made. I do not get infatuated with gear either but I do refer to my truck as the road king. Not because I like naming my cars, just because I have 6 vehicles and its just easier to say were taking the road king. My rods and reels are all cheap not because I like to abuse them just because I'm cheap. Being cheap I also like to take care of and baby my cheap gear so I don't have to replace them. My rods get stored assembled in an interior roof rack (two cords tied across the ceiling from the clothing hooks) then carried into the house and stored in a ceiling rack in my basement.

First thing I do when I return to the truck is I unlock my truck. The keys and my rod then go on the roof out of the way while I get out of my waders. It's impossible for me to drive off with the rod on the roof because my keys are up there as well.

"I do have two rods, now, from [steeldrifter] ......but I still don't put them in tubes or socks."

Blasphemy

Perhaps ... tongue.png

Good thing I'm an equipment atheist (I don't believe any inanimate object deserves "worship") ... I can't actually "blaspheme".

biggrin.png

"I do have two rods, now, from [steeldrifter] ......but I still don't put them in tubes or socks."

Blasphemy

Perhaps ... :P

Good thing I'm an equipment atheist (I don't believe any inanimate object deserves "worship") ... I can't actually "blaspheme".

:D

Just two rods Flat Rock? I think you need a few more. Or just two from Steve to go with the closet full?

Having been a dedicated club angler years ago (where we competed in every type and size of gear from 4# spin all the way up to fly....) I knew many that had interior rod racks in their station wagons, vans, and SUV's that held up to a dozen rods at a time... They fell out of favor after more than a few found that their vehicles were just too tempting for car burglars down here in paradise... South Florida being what it is having lots of gear displayed inside your vehicle - for the taking when you're not actually with your car.... just wasn't very attractive. Wish it weren't so...

I have a heavy mesh rear window guard and very dark tinted windows on the back oh my cab so my rods are pretty hard to see, it's the only reason I feel comfortable leaving them there.

Just two rods Flat Rock? I think you need a few more. Or just two from Steve to go with the closet full?[/quote

Not sure lost count at 11, but have Mandate from Trophy Wife of 39'years, of no net increase. So two bamboos trading floor soon

Having been a dedicated club angler years ago (where we competed in every type and size of gear from 4# spin all the way up to fly....) I knew many that had interior rod racks in their station wagons, vans, and SUV's that held up to a dozen rods at a time... They fell out of favor after more than a few found that their vehicles were just too tempting for car burglars down here in paradise... South Florida being what it is having lots of gear displayed inside your vehicle - for the taking when you're not actually with your car.... just wasn't very attractive. Wish it weren't so...

yep, even here in Wyoming most gun racks are empty these days, used to love seeing what my homies and complete strangers were toting... not happening much now but for elk season