Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Help me find a caddis body wrap

I was watching a video a while back, and they used this material to wrap the caddis that looked awesome. I have seen the same material used for wrapping grubs and what not. It was super realistic looking, and when wrapped had a natural ribbing (body segments) by just the way the material properties were. It looked almost gummy. I am trying to figure out what that is. Sorry that this is not a lot of info for it. But maybe someone might know what I'm talking about.

I think the answer is UV chewy skin. I has a shiny side and a dull side so you can tie the caddis two ways. The packaging has the shiny side out.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-uv-chewee-skin

UV_Chewee_Skin_thumb_380_285.jpg

DSCF7652-2.jpg

So that's not the stuff I saw, but it was like that, just not sparkly. Seems like the same properties though, just this stuff didn't have the sparkle. I do like that chewy skin though, looks really nice!

Kiley's Nymph Skin and the latex from a surgical glove is not near the thickness
of Nymph Skin from Virtual Nymph that Davie uses. You just won't be able to get the
defined segmentation that you are hoping for. Also, Nymph Skin from Virtual Nymph does
not deteriorate in Sunlight as quickly as natural latex. You will also find that Xylene based markers
such as Pantone and Ad Charpak will dissolve latex from your common surgical glove. You need to
coat it with UV resin.
The best surgical gloves to use are the one individually packaged and used in a surgical theater.
They are much thicker and don't dissolve as easily.
The Nymph Skin from Virtual Nymph has a bit of a sheen on it like the UV Chewy Skin but not near as shiny.
The problem I had with the Chewy Skin was that it is too thick. The segmentation is out of proportion
especially on smaller sized hooks #16 and below.
An alternative to surgical gloves is Dental Dam material made of natural latex. They come in 5x5" squares.

You'll want the ones that are not coated in talcum powder.

If you will add a drop of CA to your latex you wrap it the latex becomes translucent.

Kimo

I was watching a video a while back, and they used this material to wrap the caddis that looked awesome. I have seen the same material used for wrapping grubs and what not. It was super realistic looking, and when wrapped had a natural ribbing (body segments) by just the way the material properties were. It looked almost gummy. I am trying to figure out what that is. Sorry that this is not a lot of info for it. But maybe someone might know what I'm talking about.

I think the answer is UV chewy skin. I has a shiny side and a dull side so you can tie the caddis two ways. The packaging has the shiny side out.

http://www.jsflyfishing.com/hareline-uv-chewee-skin

UV_Chewee_Skin_thumb_380_285.jpg

DSCF7652-2.jpg

So that's not the stuff I saw, but it was like that, just not sparkly. Seems like the same properties though, just this stuff didn't have the sparkle. I do like that chewy skin though, looks really nice!

Flip the material over and tie with the dull side.

I wrote, "I has a shiny side and a dull side so you can tie the caddis two ways"

Flip the material over and tie with the dull side.

I wrote, "I has a shiny side and a dull side so you can tie the caddis two ways"

Yes I understand that. I wasn't talking about the shinyness of it though. Maybe I'm wrong but it looks sparkly, like they add glitter in it? Is it not that way on the other side? I don't mind the shiny, just the sparkle was the issue...

Silver Creek, I wish you wouldn't just throw those links to JS Stockard's into your posts like that. Do you realize how expensive that gets for gullible impulse buyers like me? :-)

Silver Creek, I wish you wouldn't just throw those links to JS Stockard's into your posts like that. Do you realize how expensive that gets for gullible impulse buyers like me? :-)

HAHA!

Do you realize how expensive that gets for gullible impulse buyers like me? :-)

LOL You're one of those guys that always buys a drink at 7-11 when you're really just in there to use the restroom, aren't you?

Feel guilty about visiting a site and not buying something !!!

In the new fly tier magazine they use a wine foil for the segmentation...cut into strips you can mimic the caddis body....pretty ingenious

We used to use lead wine foils to add weight before they changed to non toxic foils.

In the new fly tier magazine they use a wine foil for the segmentation...cut into strips you can mimic the caddis body....pretty ingenious

We used to use lead wine foils to add weight before they changed to non toxic foils.

Darn them for not giving us lead poisoning!!! Haha. J/k

Imchecked this out, very cool. Thanks for posting and welcome to the forum, if I have not told you previously.

Great thing, for me, about getting old and more forgetful, KEEP meeting "new" people everyday!

I have some silicone jelly Spinnerbait Skirts, from Jann's- I believe. I will tie up a caddis. I fear some work -arounds from lure building materials because some of that wiggly stuff eats up tackle boxes and do not wish to risk my nice fly storage.

Any other lure builders know?

The silicone skirt material should be fine and last without becoming sticky, though some of the cheapie older latex skirt material would melt/rot. Surely I would land such caddis in tree limbs along the streams well before that happened though, so I personally wouldn't worry.

Mike B

If you are looking for the cream colored caddis larve, check out Berg's Caddis Larvae - this pattern uses Rainy's large rubber legs (natural color) covered in Softex.

Question - I've used latex gloves or condoms for making vladi worm style flies... but dip them in soft-ex and thus far, they have lasted a long time. Wonder if you could build an abdomen, dip in softex and then finish when the fly dries... If you want to stick to using latex from those sources, that may be an option.

Do any of you guys use soft-ex on any of these other materials that have been posted, or, are these other products just that much more durable?