Fly Tying
Steeldrifter

Spey rod for trout, anyone here do it?

If you have room to form a half decent D, scandi head with a touch and go will surprise you at the ease it brings. I switched to this style for my early sea trout fishing with bigger flies as the double hauling was doing my shoulders no favours

If you have or can borrow a switch rod and team it with a scandi head you'll be pleasantly surprised. A trout rated 7weight switch rod with a 270/280 grain head will shoot very easily.

If you have room to form a half decent D, scandi head with a touch and go will surprise you at the ease it brings. I switched to this style for my early sea trout fishing with bigger flies as the double hauling was doing my shoulders no favours

If you have or can borrow a switch rod and team it with a scandi head you'll be pleasantly surprised. A trout rated 7weight switch rod with a 270/280 grain head will shoot very easily.

Hmmm, I was thinking 4 or 5 wt with those grains, no ? But apparently something that is missing in these systems is a standardization.

I've watched a bunch of video now with Scandi and Skagit lines and casting, also single handed Spey with Rio's single handed line. The single handed line doesn't compare but it does look easier than roll casting what I have now. I think I should start with improving my roll casting and then build a switch or spey rod or rather meanwhile build a switch or spey rod.

Hmmm, I was thinking 4 or 5 wt with those grains, no ?

I've watched a bunch of video now with Scandi and Skagit lines and casting, also single handed Spey with Rio's single handed line. The single handed line doesn't compare but it does look easier than roll casting what I have now. I think I should start with improving my roll casting and then build a switch or spey rod or meanwhile build a switch or spey rod.

The 4/5 spey rated rod will be around that grain. Trout rated will be a 7. Depends on blank if they sell as trout or spey rated.

The added length of the switch rod makes the casts a world of difference to roll casting with a trout rod.

I switched to this style for my early sea trout fishing with bigger flies as the double hauling was doing my shoulders no favours

That's another added benefit I hope to get from spey. While I will still be using my single hand rod probably 90% of the time, I will most likely be using the spey more & more the more comfortable I get with it because my rotator cuff in my right shoulder is pretty bad these days :(

That's another added benefit I hope to get from spey. While I will still be using my single hand rod probably 90% of the time, I will most likely be using the spey more & more the more comfortable I get with it because my rotator cuff in my right shoulder is pretty bad these days sad.png

Yep the benefit is huge. I'm hitting better distance more consistently with the spey rod with virtually no effort. In fact if you feel like you're pushing it you're probably only going to loose distance. Just melt into the rhythm and enjoy the day instead of being in pain. And the extra length reduces leverage on the fish compared to a 9ft or shorter rod so you even enjoy more pull from the fish.

When I was teaching Spey Casting, many students arrived with shoulder/arm problems.

The key is to keep your elbows in close to the rib cage and use more body motion to load the rod.

Once you make to back cast gently, the upper hand is relatively fixed and the lower hand applies most of the power with a short quick motion, thump it into your ribs and do not move the upper hand. That is the equivalent of single haul to the Two Handed casting technique.

Most of the internet videos are with young muscular guys using all upper arm motion, and heavy power stroke,,,, this works however, is not the most efficient and is tiring for people with shoulder and torn muscle problems.

You can make a long efficient cast without using any arm motion, on the back cast lean to the rear and use only rocking body motion toward the target for the forward cast.

Search for Goran Andersson Spey Casting video, here is a guy in his 80's who appears to be in slow motion, easy gently casting and the line slaps the rod blank on forward presentation.

He is the grandfather of Scandi style casting, we have adopted his arm/body stoke to water borne anchor casting and it work extremely well.

Watch how he describes the lower hand "stirring the pot" motion, this is the key to effortless casting two handed rods.

Note that, all of the Spey casting techniques can be used with single handed rods.

Simon Gawesworth wrote a book Single Handed Spey Casting, it is excellent for cross over from TH Spey to SH rods.

I attended a 3-day casting class with Simon in 1998, the end of the third day he demonstrated the SH rod with Spey Casting, this technique has been around for far longer than twenty years.

Forget what they teach for SH Roll Casting, the chopping wood stoke is very inefficient, a Snap T or simple Single Spey is effortless in comparison.

Lefty Kreh and Ed Jaworowski teach a far more efficient Roll Casting stroke for traditional SH casting.

Most of my students no longer use over head casting with SH rods for wet flies and streamers, they adopt Spey Casting to the SH rods.

Regards,

FK

I knew a guy who used to lean this way and that, like the guy in the video.

AC/DC fishing?

I knew a guy who used to lean this way and that, like the guy in the video.

AC/DC fishing?

I don't know but I will say that where I fish is nothing like that river in the video.