Fly Tying
caloosa bug

(No fly zone) Non fly caught fish pictures

3 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

there's not much better than fresh striped bass

You got that one right, pd. Tase tee. 

On 5/22/2021 at 6:25 PM, denduke said:

A state lake reopening youth day, today.   Took couple girls and they had a ball!   Target the cats👍  Timid at first after couple of hours they were manhandling them.   By 11:00 they disappeared; sacked out in the car😂  Opens again 6 Am Wednesday for ereybody; gonna be worse crowd.   They had shocked a 19” WhiteCrappie and lots of 14-19” bass.   Won’t be able to fly fish, too crowded for backcasts prolly.  Was like that on another opener years ago.   

Awesome! Bet that was fun, so what if there’s a crowd, as long as the fish are biting. 
Good job on cleaning them cats too. 👍

23 hours ago, Poopdeck said:

Took a half day off work and got out to the river for about 5 hours for a final striper trip since the run has just about run its course. Ended with 20 in the boat, the biggest going 25", 26"' and 27". Lost another 4 fish along with 30 bucks in tackle. We kept 3 slot fish (21" to less than 24") because there's not much better than fresh striped bass. Although we didn't catch anything big I think I'll go out one more time.

Heck ya!

$30 in tackle?  Live bait, or 2 $15 plugs?

I put a hurting on some Rapala X-Raps in March and April. Lost 4or 5 on fish, broke lips and split the butt on 4 or 5. And threw a few into the fence on the Army Core of Engineers side of the spillway...No trespassing. 

Three SP minnows at 10 each. One hopelessly snagged and two break offs with hooked fish. It was a bad day in that regard. I can count on losing at least one but three hurts when it wipes out a color. I carry three dozen or more SP's but all three lost were the cotton candy color which is what they were keying in on almost to a fault. I only picked up one more  fish after running out of cotton candies. My buddy had one left and he took it to me at the end catching 5 to my 1. I was fishing bone white, red and white, red and yellow, solid green, every color I had in the box and all they wanted was the cotton candy. 

We are getting lots of rain this weekend so that may be my last trip as it looks like the river will be blown out for a week. 

Had three days before the season closes for the summer on Tuesday. Needed a 28”, couldn’t quite stretch this 27.5” to make the cut.

Did manage to also put 2 nice tarpon in the air, estimated 20-30lbs. The water is warming up nicely.

Two more days to try...

F8ED4E26-1C5F-4934-8ECB-5679A2730A26.thumb.jpeg.c46f843a3ab7e1fa4da84052dbc01ef4.jpeg

We had a fun few hours at a pond near our house. Caught a jaguar guapote and several small bluegill. Then the same fish I missed on the 3 wt earlier came after my sons fish. 
 My son ended up hooking it with a cricket and landed it without a fight. It was a very poor fish. We laughed, took some pics, made  memories and released it.

2A549686-B00C-47B4-ADF7-F004AF7D6024.jpeg

7EBEC16F-9D32-4DDF-A650-66A2BD2796EC.jpeg

4BCBD437-10E0-4EB5-B622-5F89CF817F59.jpeg

2 hours ago, caloosa bug said:

jaguar guapote

Never heard of it.  Some nice bass, though.  

Took a longer Memorial Day weekend and got my first carp(s) of the year. Had my reels out for repair and Daiwa had some "issues" getting parts so I'm about 2-3 months behind.

21lb 4oz

june_21lb4oz.thumb.jpg.7ddc98d3a3c1c18a436f7ba3ec973496.jpg

28lb4oz

june_28lb40z.thumb.jpg.d47fde3b579877c60f0bf77e0c107385.jpg

14lb

june_14lb.thumb.jpg.f886a38ffe380ec85d0065692c56fe1a.jpg

15lb 13oz

june_15lb13oz.thumb.jpg.333ff80adbf503e3e160bcba052dd4c8.jpg

19lb 8oz

june_19lb8oz.thumb.jpg.8b0d2d4adabefca416dbc1448788beae.jpg

IMG_20210530_103152709.thumb.jpg.5f8ee5e2976f1830bd2aafdddc574319.jpg

4 hours ago, skeet3t said:

iroc_jeff, what was your tackle and fly?

Oh, no fly since this is the "no fly" post. Just a bunch of European carp tackle. Got them all on Maize or flavored corn. 

4 hours ago, mikechell said:

Those are some HORSES, Jeff !!!

Each one felt way bigger than they were. The river is up, and current outside the eddy I fished is about 2x faster than normal. That 28lb felt around 40lb since I had to fight current as well..

54 minutes ago, Iroc_Jeff said:

Just a bunch of European carp tackle. Got them all on Maize or flavored corn. 

Do you use a chum system?  I tried some pill bottles with holes drilled and filled with cat food for catfish.   Mixed results ....The balls of cat food frozen with a rock inside  thrown out helped but no current , lake situation.  

D70476F5-9FD3-49D2-8D19-DCDD71C7D0DB.jpeg

9DA0798D-BF82-4217-A07D-3A3AC40726FB.jpeg

54 minutes ago, denduke said:
1 hour ago, denduke said:

Do you use a chum system?  I tried some pill bottles with holes drilled and filled with cat food for catfish.   Mixed results ....The balls of cat food frozen with a rock inside  thrown out helped but no current , lake situation.  

D70476F5-9FD3-49D2-8D19-DCDD71C7D0DB.jpeg

Yeah, I do chum but not as much anymore. I can attach a baiting spoon to my net handle and can chuck out stuff up to 30 yards or so. I used to toss in 2-3 galloon of deer corn(soaked and boiled) and oatmeal, breadcrumbs, some carp attractor specific pellets, molasses,  and make baseball sized balls to chuck in. i might make 1 gallon max of this now and just use it to spot chum around where I cast every so often or wrap it around my lead when fishing in the margins. I usually loose it at distances.

Since last fall I go light with chum but use PVA sticks, the same brand in the video below. I usually put my hookbait of choice, corn, boilie, or chick pea, in the bag cut up and then will include carp specific attractor pellets. Those pellets can be anything from dried molasses or corn pellets to stuff with amino acids and feeding stimulants. This way my bait is sitting right near the "chum", like on top of it. I've increased my percentages greatly with this. Its only good for dried stuff or oil based liquids otherwise it will melt before you cast.

For catfish you can use dry cat food, trout pellets, halibut pellets, and then whatever hookbait you want as long as you dry it off with a towel first. You'd just need much heavier lead to pull this stuff down to the bottom.

No fly,,,duh, I forgot.Been fishing for carp since October 2014. Look at www.carpanglersgroup.com for loads of info. I'm the state chair for CAG. Wrote an article on Euro style carp fishing for Fur-Fish-Game in 2019.