Fly Tying

Salmon in buena vista,no.the Arkansas river is here,the upper,middle and lower river.the lower river from salida to canon city is the best section.i generally stay away until sept.-august,too much river traffic,rafting companies all over.

If I went to a lake that holds salmon, would woolly buggers work or mayflies work?

Also, if I went to a cutthroat lake I would imagine a woolly bugger should do the trick. I think?

Lots of questions.

for tippet, use the heaviest you can get away with. I use 5X for small to average sized dries (size 12 to 20), 4X for bigger dries and for smaller nymphs, 3X for big stonefly dries and nymphs in faster or dirty water, and 2X for big nymphs and streamers. For knots I use an improved clinch mostly, but a buddy uses a non-slip loop, so whatever you can tie well will work fine.

Kokanee are plankton feeders and are usually deep in summer, so I'd not count on finding them. For stillwater cutties a bugger will work well, especially in olive to represent a damsel or dragonfly nymph, but in stillwater callibaetis mayflies and midges are often what fish see and eat most.

Well yeah the is literally I am chasing trout. If it was your first time in the salt you would be lost and probably wouldn't make it past day 2

Anyways, yeah I read about the salmon staying deep so not really expecting one.

Are there any other species? Like bass, carp, etc?

the 100 or so kokanee salmon i hooked up with, were eating these red balls of plankton when i fished the east river

glo-bug-ar.jpg

Well yeah the is literally I am chasing trout. If it was your first time in the salt you would be lost and probably wouldn't make it past day 2

That was a very petulant thing to say to someone who's trying to help

Anyways, yeah I read about the salmon staying deep so not really expecting one.

Are there any other species? Like bass, carp, etc?

Bass are in lakes down on the plains.

Nicely done, and what a pretty brownie. Looks like a beautiful piece of water in beautiful country, too. Colorado sure is a wonderful place, and I look forward to more reports and photos.

Thanks man, also sorry for being a jerk earlier my bad

But yeah that was the nicest of the 3. Super awesome change of pace from so flo..

Thanks, we're all good.

A change of pace is a good thing, and CO has a lot of change of pace. Enjoy.

Beautiful fish,Carson!Glad it's going so well over there!

Sweet. I think I have dry flies, are stimulators dry flies? Got a couple of those..

Also, I got some 5x tippet. I have good eye sight and young, but holy crap that stuff is so skinny. I could barely it!

What knot should I use to attach tippet to fly, or would a regular non slip loop knot work?

thanks and sorry for being a trout googan haha

The water on the Arky is a bit high but dropping.

https://www.royalgorgeanglers.com/fishing-reports/

http://www.arkanglers.com/

Stimis, caddis, PMDs, yellow sallies are all good. 14-18 with the high flows. Don't forget some hoppers too