Fly Tying
despatiesim

Eye protection whe using uv cure resin lamps?

I concur...this thread has been around for so long it was started when the dead sea was just sick...

I'm not "forcing" you to wear anything ... nor do I think it should be made into law. I don't agree with seat belt laws, either.

I think people should be able to make their choices ... and if the wrong choice gets them dead, all the better.

I also believe that no government help is allowed for people who get maimed or disabled through those same choices.

Disability is for people who are disabled through no fault or choice of their own.

you and I agree 100% on these.... I go one step further and say that insurance should not cover one dime of medical for injuries sustained in a crash if a motorcyclist isn't wearing boots, pants, jacket, gloves, helmet, and eye protection--- nothing is covered for active duty military members in that scenario (at least not for the several years before I retired in 2008, and I never had a problem with it... rode 27,000 miles in three years in Florida and Alabama so all the sissies who complain about the gear being "too hot" can go pound sand) and same for boaters who by their own stupidity drown because of arrogance. No law should be on any book regarding these. PFDs are a huge debate point in the kayak fishing world. My avatar should leave no question where I stand on the matter. If you don't want to wear a PFD in statistically dangerous conditions, that's fine with me. When you die I'll go call on your (former) wife and buy your gear for cheap.

Maybe I'll just give up fishing and kayaking and fly tying all together because it's so dangerous.

There's nothing like going off topic to keep a thread going. JS while I appreciate your recognition of my right to make my own choices, arrogance has nothing to do with it. I think it's arrogant to think everybody should do something one way or else be labeled as fools not worthy of the same protections offered to those who agree with you. That's pretty much the essence of arrogance. If I fished from a kayak or rode a jet ski I would wear one. When in my boat you are completely 100% inside the boat and there are safety rails to boot. No low gunnels with raised casting decks to perch yourself on, no 250 hp motor. Your safer in my boat without a PFD then you are in a kayak, a canoe, a shiny bass boat or a jet ski while wearing a PFD. How can the PFD be the problem while discounting all other factors, especially the actual vessel? If your worried about a bass boat ramming me, causing me to be unexpectantly flung in the water, then ban bass boats or put in speed restrictions or HP limits. It's just easier and takes less thought and action to simply say, "should have been wearing a PFD."

Elsewhere on the planet today birds chirped, a full rainbow showed itself to a stunned crowd and a unicorn pooped on the Vatican steps.

Viewing this stuff prolly worse than UV right in the eyes.

UV lites aren't really a hazard for the millineals.... lots of them you can see the back of their heads when you look straight into their eyes. You can verify by shinning flash lite into an ear and see it from the other side. Make sure you take the ear phones out or you get a false reading.... Heaven help us!!

My gosh four pages??? I use common sense at the bench and don't stare into the lense of the UV light, at least not for too long. I use a modern self inflating PFD that is ONLY considered a legal PFD when it is being worn, not laying on the seat next to you. My wife and I once rode over 500 miles out of our way to avoid going through a fascist motorcycle that made helmets law instead of choice. I don't even move my truck in the driveway without putting on my seatbelt by habit. My outboards are too old to have lanyards but when I had a couple of different 70mph bassboats I always hooked it up but never use a lanyard or PFD in my cruiser. I believe in choice and not law and let common sense and your own values decide how you handle any potentially dangerous situation.

And yes JSczymczyk, I've ridden in full leathers and helmet and flip flops, shorts and t shirt and du-rag for about 10 times that 27000 miles and never got a scratch on the road riding. Not quite so true riding and racing in the dirt but the old saying is a biker either has been down or is going to down is not always true.