Fly Tying
vicrider

Any snake ID out there?

Fisherboy, your not coming off as an ass. Your coming off as someone who is passionate about the subject. Your opinion is just as valued as the next. More importantly you are handling differing opinions with grace and respect. Its probably a good thing I don't live around venomous snakes.

Fisherboy, your not coming off as an ass. Your coming off as someone who is passionate about the subject. Your opinion is just as valued as the next. More importantly you are handling differing opinions with grace and respect. Its probably a good thing I don't live around venomous snakes.

Agreed. The young man is wiser than his years IMO ;)

Far as snakes go...I can take them or leave them. I don't "like" them, but I don't hate nor are scared of them either. I see some every now and then around the cabin upnorth. Normally if they get too close to the door I'll just take a stick and pick it up and move it to our wooded lot next door. I'd never kill one just to kill it that's for sure.

Well, thanks guys. It is truly something I love. I'm going to Guerrero, Mexico this summer to study reptiles and amphibians that live within jaguar territory. Joining one of my professors to continue jaguar research he's been working on for the last 7 years.

I wouldn't have a problem dispatching a jaguar if I have to either. Problem with jaguars is you don't know they are there until they're on your back with their teeth sunk in your neck. thankfully I don't live in jaguar country either.

Guerrero, Mexico, huh? Jaguars are the least of your worries down there.

Bugs and drug cartels come to mind ...

Be careful and have a good time.

From taking to others who've been there and other, much worse parts, the people (even the baddies) seem to respect and leave scientists alone. But I'll keep my wits about me.

...Friend of mine, Ricky, had one fall in his boat. He unloaded his 9 millimeter trying to shot that snake. The snake crawled off his boat, unharmed. Ricky had to fix 9 holes in the bottom of his boat...

Mike, I ran across this accidentally letting background music play in the background of the computer...

Great stuff here. I've lived in Florida since I was 15 months old ( now 63 ) and used catch snakes of all kinds except venomous and only killed one cottonmouth and two rattlesnakes, both of which got ate. Actually caught rat snakes and brought home and released in back yard to help control some rodents once.

A critter here that is overpopulating and being encroached upon by humans is gators. They are aggressive and will and do attack humans. I suspect we will hear more reports of attacks and hope hunting seasons will get longer and issue more permits.

I've personally been stalked while wading the Banana River flats near the Space Center and quickly headed to shore being followed and closed in on all the way to the bank at one point being just 20 feet away right before exiting. I no longer wade right at sun up or sun down.

Great stuff here. I've lived in Florida since I was 15 months old ( now 63 ) and used catch snakes of all kinds except venomous and only killed one cottonmouth and two rattlesnakes, both of which got ate. Actually caught rat snakes and brought home and released in back yard to help control some rodents once.

A critter here that is overpopulating and being encroached upon by humans is gators. They are aggressive and will and do attack humans. I suspect we will hear more reports of attacks and hope hunting seasons will get longer and issue more permits.

I've personally been stalked while wading the Banana River flats near the Space Center and quickly headed to shore being followed and closed in on all the way to the bank at one point being just 20 feet away right before exiting. I no longer wade right at sun up or sun down.

Sounds like a classic example of a gator that has been fed fish by fishermen. They see someone fishing and they come running. I come across a few every year. Wish I could find the idiots that fed them and then feed them to said gator. Sad thing is that those gators are destined to be "removed" (AKA harvested) by nuisance control. Gators that just show up in someones back yard can and do get relocated, but fed gators don't ever really unlearn that kind of behavior. Best they can hope for is a spot as a captive in a zoo or rescue, I'll bet you and I have a better chance at wining the lottery then a spot opening up for them.

Statistics show that 90 - 100 people a year die from bee stings. It has been estimated that 7,000–8,000 people per year receive venomous bites in the United States, and about five of those people die. Most fatal bites are attributed to the eastern and western diamondback rattlesnake. wikipedia

snakebite_death_stats.gif

BUT ... this doesn't show the number of pets killed each year by any of these methods. I am thinking that in the first four columns ... pets numbers will be significantly lower. In the last four columns ... significantly higher.

Just saying ...

thanks Fisherboy and Mikechell- I'm a lifelong amateur herpetologist and have caught, photographed, and yes even killed and eaten a few venemous snakes, and tanned skins, bonded to leather and made some holsters, knife sheaths, boot bracelets, and other items which went over extremely well as gifts. Yes I did kill a couple water mocs in our yard when I lived in southeastern alabama, at times when I literally didn't have the time to relocate them and I had my own - very well educated - kid, and other not so situationally aware kids stomping around everywhere. One of my great pleasures in life is seeing otherwise rational grown adult human males melt down into hysterics at the sight of a snake - ANY snake. I've encountered hundreds of rattlesnakes (at least 7 different species) many water mocs, copperheads, sea snakes, a couple habus, and a few coral snakes in the wild and absolutely agree there is no such thing as an "aggessive" snake. I have zero desire to ever kill another snake in my lifetime. I love to see them, they are fascinating creatures, and I have no F-ing idea why so many people have the attitude toward them that they do.

LOL ... I got a kick out of this, Joel.

"... I have no F-ing idea why so many people have the attitude toward them that they do."

It just so happens, this topic is playing out on another site I visit.

Seems there's still a LOT of people who equate snakes with the garden of Eden "serpent".