Fly Tying
Patriot

Source for Lagartun x-fine wire

Nice try, chugbug27!

All Dette Trout seems to carry is xx-fine in silver. If they had that in gold I would have bought a boat load. And, not a single juicy flavor in sight either.smile.png

attachicon.gifgrab.jpg

Read 'em and weep, read 'em and weep...

Say what? smile.png

My stash of Hend's wire is working out just fine, but if you were a really nice guy you'd wrap up one of those shiny gold spools and ship it off to me. rolleyes.gif

Like that old saying goes, "Tis better to give than to receive.", but I'm sure you know this already. Ha!

I'm kidding - and jealous, of course.

Have a great Holiday!

Like that old saying goes, "Tis better to give than to receive.", but I'm sure you know this already. Ha!

I couldn't agree more. I LOVE to give thank you's to people who give me stuff. All that giving is great!

I don't want any of that wire ... I am just popping in to agree with Patriot.

Well, I won't give you my hard earned wire, but I did call Joe at Dette Trout to thank him for coming through to get the egg off my own face, and rave to each other a little about how truly fine and pliable this wire is (I really was pleasantly surprised... so thin it feels like you're handling a spider web, but it's still strong and not at all brittle). He tells me that just yesterday -- just yesterday! -- he completely sold out of it. He's now got no Lagartun wire left of any sizes or colors. So sad, I know...

On the brighter side, -- oh, did I mention how bright and shiny this wire is? It's far more bright and shiny than any other wire I've used.

But I digress...

On the brighter side, he says he has some more on order for December/January, so I suppose all you'd need to do is call and reserve some. (That's the gift...)

Happy ties,

cb27

sometimes when you know what the hell you gotta have, substitutes just don't get it done. Thankfully (and this wire problem is sort of an analog to my way of thinking) our odd quests are for spools of wire costing a few dollars.... not thousand dollar whiskey, million dollar cars, or even more expensive women. The dude wants to tie with particular wire, even though other labels will "do the job", then a large part of the satisfaction (and disappointment.....) is in the quest itself.

sometimes when you know what the hell you gotta have, substitutes just don't get it done. Thankfully (and this wire problem is sort of an analog to my way of thinking) our odd quests are for spools of wire costing a few dollars.... not thousand dollar whiskey, million dollar cars, or even more expensive women. The dude wants to tie with particular wire, even though other labels will "do the job", then a large part of the satisfaction (and disappointment.....) is in the quest itself.

post-59483-0-79610800-1511920115_thumb.jpeg

Don Quixote was a fly tier?

He was indeed. Didn't you read the book?rolleyes.gif

post-61757-0-84940900-1511927154_thumb.jpg

Sancho carried all the fly tying gear on his donkey and whenever they came across good trout water Mr. Panza would tie up some cool flies and Don Quixote would catch some plump trout for supper.

C'mon, Man! biggrin.png

Don Quixote was all about the "Quest" Mike and Patriot has been dreaming about the impossible dream apparently.

Scavenged transformers and tiny motors (quarter size windings) from electronics in the '70s is all I've used on pheasant tails, it was in one of Sawyer's books as the source he used, I think have green, red and copper colors and I could never tie enough flies to use all of one of those little windings up. Copper is the one I nearly always use. Stuff is fine enough for a 24,. I use it in place of thread on the pheasant tail as iirc Sawyer did.

Now Utyer is going to have me tearing up an old computer for silver wire.

The Hends wire does look pretty, the link brought me to hooks though and had to site search to see the wire.