Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Tye v Tie

I have referred fishing poles as being natural materials. Fishing rods strictly manmade.

A fishing pole is bamboo. Fishing rods are boron, fiberglass, and graphite.

LOL ... here we go!

Tye vs. tie

Tyer vs. tier

Line vs. string

Pole, rod, stick or "Geraldine"

Bluegill or Perch as a general name for all sunfish vs. Sunfish vs. Panfish

Crappie (North) vs. Specks (South) vs. Sac-au-lait (Louisiana)

We could go on forever, me thinks.

Rather than arguing ... let us just recognize that international vernaculars and national colloquialisms are abundant.

In no way are they attempts to change the jargon of fishing or fly tying in general.

As a person who travels for my job ... I often hear a person talking about something ... only to either ask or finally get what they're speaking of.

Perhaps ... make your additions to my list. How many and what "local" names do YOU know for the same item?

... Magic, sorta like another MVP from MI.

What's an "MVP"? Michigan Vehicle Passenger? Movie Viewing Patron?

... Magic, sorta like another MVP from MI.

What's an "MVP"? Michigan Vehicle Passenger? Movie Viewing Patron?

Most Valuable Pole... a la Earvin "Magic" Johnson, Most Valuable Player, NBA.

Probably should have gone with first thought- Walleye Pike, a mislabeled "Perch" - I like to hear them called "Ready to Serve" as the Perches, freshwater, are my favorite food fish, thus subject to Filete&Release practices

I have always written tie, tier, tied, and tying. However, I just a moment ago searched the word "tier" in online dictionaries, and could not locate a single definition of the word as "one who ties" (or words to that effect).

Therefore, starting today:

I TIE (or TIED or am/was/will be TYING) flies.

I am a fly TYER.

It's too bad the word "tier/tyer" isn't erroneously gender-specific, like the word "fisherman" is; increasing awareness of gender issues has lead to "fly fisherman" often being dropped in favor of the gender-neutral "fly fisher" in publications and formal writings and even in informal speech and writing, though to a lesser degree.

All the talk of the idiosyncrasies of the English language reminds me of an interesting exercise my 12th grade Composition teacher gave us one day: She presented us with an alternate (but, according to the "rules" of English, completely appropriate) spelling of a common noun and asked us to identify the conventional spelling.

The alternate spelling was GHOTI.

The conventional spelling is FISH--GH as in "rough" + O as in "women" + TI as in "action" = GHOTI = FISH.

Gotta love the old Mother Tongue. smile.png

I can hardly wait until the next time I tell Wife I'm going ghoti-ing ... and then tell her how I spelled it !!!

I've fallen into that PC vernacular, Bryon. I usually type in "Fly Angler" ... instead of fisherperson. Of course, a fly fisher-X would be appropriate, too ... considering some people might not identify as human at all !!!

Ahhh ... Most Valuable PLAYER. I guess that effectively limns how long it's been since I paid attention to sports.

I have always written tie, tier, tied, and tying. However, I just a moment ago searched the word "tier" in online dictionaries, and could not locate a single definition of the word as "one who ties" (or words to that effect).

Therefore, starting today:

I TIE (or TIED or am/was/will be TYING) flies.

I am a fly TYER.

This was what they taught me in 1960s, 4th grade? I can usually deal with odd spellings just like regional accents though.

I trye to use tie when I say that I'm a flye tyer that ties flies. However, not all flie tiers that tye call themselves flye tyers or fly tires. In the end I like to ty flize because it relaxes me. The semantics seem incidental, or is that incindiary, or incandescent?

Jesting aside I use Fly Tyer for a person that practices that art at a very high level. It's like calling a person a carpenter. A carpenter is a skilled tradesman. Same for Fly Tyer. I think the rest of folks tie flies. Wait, what?

A very interesting conversation. As a recreational fisherman, I find hardly any spelling of the sport offensive. Now go into a coffee shop...

But for the record incase someone is tallying up the statistics, I use the following:

Tie, tied and tying

I have never really used the word tyer or tier before. Although it says I spell tyer wrong, but I have a subscription to Fly Tyer's magazine.

And... Vise. Vice means something to do with an inner city.

Jeff

A fly tyer who buys a LAW vise buoys a tier vice.

And, is lucky to find one and financially successful or knows a banker- that "ties flies."

But let's not go down the Law Vice road, on this thread... other threads are currently alive with ROBUST debate on Vise issues...

And... Vise. Vice means something to do with an inner city.

Jeff

Ha ha ha ... yeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhhh. As if everyone in the suburbs or rural areas is free of vices !!!