Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Gene L

Tye v Tie

You guys got wayyy too much time on your hands eh? lol

BCT

And it's only December !!! lol

. I see many using vice instead of vise, and although I agree it's usually a vice for the majority of us, there is a difference as far as definition. All of these are widely used & accepted.

That depends on what country you're in. "Vice" is the standard spelling for the tool in Britain. (And they claim to have invented the language.)

Well, for the "American" side of the English language, with all the slang that has been injected, we should be happy it hasn't affected fly fishing discussions too much. I like to keep things simple, so if someone wishes to use "tye" that's fine with me as long as they're not adding special emoji's & other such stuff to it! rolleyes.gif

Considering all the abbreviations, spelling, punctuation and grammar errors that have become "normal" in today's texting ... "tye (which I've never seen used until this thread) vs. tie" seems a small issue.

"Tyer" is used to differentiate from "tier", which can completely change the meaning of a sentence. But a tyer is not a person who tyes. but a person who ties. "Tying" is necessary, since neither tiing nor tieing works ... like lying for lie.

Again, it's a rather small issue, considering the more repellent errors that are commonplace in forums and such.

Considering all the abbreviations, spelling, punctuation and grammar errors that have become "normal" in today's texting ... "tye (which I've never seen used until this thread) vs. tie" seems a small issue.

"Tyer" is used to differentiate from "tier", which can completely change the meaning of a sentence. But a tyer is not a person who tyes. but a person who ties. "Tying" is necessary, since neither tiing nor tieing works ... like lying for lie.

I've never seen anyone use "tye" either.

And it "Fly Tyer" magazine.

wow, and I thought I was a nerd... I'm fairly well read and I had to look up "argot".

21st century fishing is not a good place to make an attempt at enforcing language rules.

I shouldn't even get started so early in the morning because it might ruin my entire day.

My guts churn when I hear someone refer to a big fish as a "Slob", "Pig", "Donkey", or.... "Hawg"

Especially nice when they describe the new "Stick" they used to land it.

Didn't know you felt that way, JS!

I've used "pig" and "hawg", when "big", "huge" or "record-breaking" are just not enough. Never used "donkey" or "slob", though. Maybe those are synonyms for "humongous" and "gargantuan".