Fly Tying
eastern fly

Fly tying scissors reviews.

I am still using the Anvil scissor that I bought win I started tying. Still sharp because I refuse to cut hair with them. That's what the el cheapo's from Hobby Lobby are for.

Another totally satisfied Dr. Slick Razor user. Well made, blades and tips line up perfectly, large finger holes, adjustable tension, super fine points, and like the name implies, they're razor sharp.

another +1 on the Dr. Slick Razor scissors. I have the 5" model, and the only thing I'd change if I had the purchase to make over again is that I would get the 4" instead. Functionally, they are the best scissors I've ever used.

Dr. Slick leads the tying market, with Anvil and newcomer Loon distant second and third (not sure which is which), and a few folks using either craft store solutions or barber scissors (very pricey) bringing up the rear. Keep in mind that if you tie a lot of different types of flies (e.g. trout, salt, warm, etc.) then a single pair of scissors might not suffice. Lots of fans of the razor scissors from Dr. Slick here for example. Good scissors for close in fine work, lousy choice for spun deer hair patterns or the like in my opinion because the blades are not serrated. Similarly a pair of small scissors are not good for cutting large bundles of materials. Personally I think the 4" Dr. Slick with serrated blades is the most versatile in their line up. Big enough to cut large clumps of materials, with points small enough for most close work. My favorite pair for general trout flies is the 3.5" tungsten carbide, because the blades take a while to dull and can be touched up a bit once they do. Other variants you may find handy are a curved pair for trimming deer hair and glo bugs (I like the Anvils here), and a cheap pair of thinning scissors that you can find at Walmart is useful if you have to thin a streamer wing.

This is one of those topics that has a plethora of solutions based on preference.

I sent an email off to Dr. Slick asking about sharpening the razor scissors. The reply was very fast and informative. I'll bust out the stone before tonight's Bourbon and Bugs tying session.

They can be sharpened. We can do it for $10.00

Or you can have them done by a professional or yourself.

Only sharpen the straight edge ( non -serrated)

Start angle is 30%

Wet stone or ceramic sharpener is fine.

What do a really good pair of scissors cost? Ask a first class hairdresser and they will tell you three to four thousand dollars. Fly tiers expect to get good scissors for $20. That is hardly likely to happen. Tyers are, it seems, willing to pay a reasonable amount for a vice, Bobbin holders do not need be very expensive, by their nature. After these two the most used tool in your kit is your scissors. Yet many would baulk at spending 1/10th of what they spend on a vice, for scissors.

There are two views you can take on scissors, either buy really good ones, and expect them to last. This usually leads to disappointment. Or treat them as consumable, buy cheap and often.

For years I bought cheap, changing my scissors about every year. I bought embroidery scissors for £1:42 a pair +tax. Doing this kept me in reasonable scissors for about $2 a year. Not bad really. Occasionally I tried more expensive scissors, but always found they worked out more expensive. Until last year.

About 18 months ago I got a pair of Tiemco Tungsten Carbide Razor scissors. Now if anyone knows about sharp it is the Japanese. These scissors have an edge on them that is a different order of sharp to anything I have seen before. Designed for tying, they fit my hand perfectly. My paws would never be described as dainty. They are unbelievably sharp. A few weeks ago I noticed a microscopic roll developing along the cutting edges. I carefully placed the edge of the blade on a diamond stone, and moved it lengthwise just a 1/4 inch. Rolled edge gone. Back to being as sharp as ever. That is all the sharpening they have needed in 18 months. They are adjustable. but with just a normal screw, Not the huge thumb wheel that other razor scissors are cursed with. They are amazingly sharp right to the tip. Which is as fine a tip as I have seen on any scissors. They do cost a good bit more than regular scissors, bit it is worth it just to experience this level of sharp. I cannot recommend these highly enough. Really good scissors, list price here in the UK is £42 (about $60). Not cheap but worth every penny. Did I mention they are sharp? Watch yourself these are hurt yourself sharp.

Cheers,

C.

Just a note I use the DR Slick 4" All Purpose and Anvil Straight & Curved. Both stay sharp and cut well

for all my tying needs.

They are adjustable. but with just a normal screw, Not the huge thumb wheel that other razor scissors are cursed with.

C.

I can see that this might be a pain to those tiers who keep their scissors in their hands at all times. I put mine down after each cut and appreciate the larger screw because I put them on my desk with the screw on the underside and it makes them much easier to pick up.

I guess thats why they make different types.

Joe

My favorite are anvil model 70 left hand I have sent them out for sharpening with my sisters shop (she is a hairdresser). My backup are Dr Slick razor scissors and seam very sturdy they have adjustable tension and being a southpaw that ruins most scissors I would recommend them.

p4673tlb.jpg

I have been using these Fiskars Short Cut®, thread snip, plastic and stainless steel, orange, 4-1/2 x 1-3/4 inches for some years now. I keep them in my hand most of the time while tying. These work great for anything size 16 and up. I do have some very fine surgical type scissors for smaller flies like size 20 and below. You can buy these in your local craft store or Amazon.

fiskar detail scissors

cut everything the $$$$$ scissors cut

31jBqvZTihL._SX355_.jpg

or

449082f7-7381-4510-ae82-7c9186a01dac_1.0

I've got those but the tips aren't fine enough to get close enough, although they are very sharp and good for cutting materials.

I have used Wiss Quikclips for years now. Not that expensive and very handy They fit on your ring finger so you can tie without laying them down Highly recommend