Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
wr1nkles

tying station suggestions

I would suggest laying out your tying bench the way you tie.

For instance, I am right-handed and have all of my tying tools

on the right side such bobbins, bodkins, scissors, hackle pliers and

dubbing brushes on the right side.

On the left side I have all of my materials. Magnets for hooks, UV Resin bottles,

UV Light, and so on...

Kimo

Thanks for your input Kimo. I agree with having the tools on the right side, it seems to make the most sense and what ends up happening when I tie now on my dining table. This little station would be just offset to the right of my vise, while materials would be to my left. I'm sure it won't be my first or last tying station I build, but that's fine with me smile.png

At first I was going to vote for the modular approach, but after seeing what you're doing yhere I actually do like what you've got.

But it's not really what you'd call a tying station. It's more of a portable holding station for the stuff you might use while tying. When tying I assume you'll just move the stuff you want from your holder to your flat tying area. That'll work nicely to keep everything in one place. Until you acquire more stuff than will fit in the holder..

Chug, you're right. It is more of just a holding/organizing station. I planned on just keeping tools, resins, etc on my bench at all times, and materials in storage bins. I would like to keep some of that stuff out too, but I know the cats would see Krystal flash as a good way to floss their teeth.

Any more suggestions? I'm soaking these all up for version #5... haha. Maybe I'll get to work on it after I get my drywall duties done this weekend.

Your revision looks like the place to start. The suggestion of building one out of plywood has merit. It doesn't have to be of top quality plywood. All you are really after is how the layout works.

When you are satisfied, build another out of the materials you want. I would be tempted to build the second out of oak or Baltic birch plywood. That one would travel, so what if it gets dinged up. I would then build one for home using maybe maple and walnut or cherry and maple.

To me part of the fun is going to shows or tying events at some of the shops and seeing what others have come up with for storage and portability. You will get all kinds of ideas, maybe to many.

Planettrout has a really useful looking travel case design if you ever run into a strong desire to bring your tying streamside. It's also a nice design even if you just want to have a large but realistic amount of materials readily available and easily accessible in a tidy, portable stowaway box. I hope he doesn't mind if I post a reference here.

https://planettrout.wordpress.com/tag/a-fly-tying-travel-box/

Any more suggestions?

I've always thought that a possibly useful addition for this type of portable stuff-holder would be to have a secure latching wooden box type cover with a handle on top for easy moving and storage. (Though a sign of some sort saying "This side up" would be very, very important...) Could turn a chaotic looking tying stuff holder into a nice-enough looking wooden "curio", or even just a "handy storage box", if that's an issue for you.

This is kind of how I imagine it ending up. Took some advice from you guys about the extra thread storage.

Maybe I will explore making smaller holders for adhesives and tools that I can just tuck under the display stand... hmmm.

post-63683-0-08174900-1539802916_thumb.png

post-63683-0-49073000-1539802926_thumb.png

post-63683-0-86892200-1539802938_thumb.png

If only I had drawn out the concept of my first marriage as well as you draw out that tying desk....

Your CAD skills are impressive. Your tying station might not actually fit the table quite the way you've drawn it. As long as your proportions are accurate ... that looks like a VERY functional tying desk !!!

Also, the flat tool rest on the right over the curved side looks disjointed to me.

How about this for the tool rest area? I thought about making that piece more slanted so accessing scissors would be easier (at least in theory)

WOW!!! I really really like the slant and I believe your theory is sound. Not that I'm into feng shui or anything but unnoticed fragments of coherence sublimely muddle the mind leaving you to consciously wonder why your having a shitty day. That slanted tool rest will bring order to the mind. At least that's what my wife's interior designer would say.

Your CAD skills are impressive. Your tying station might not actually fit the table quite the way you've drawn it. As long as your proportions are accurate ... that looks like a VERY functional tying desk !!!

Thanks, but I can't take credit for the Regal or Sterilite bins. Those were pre-made. You can use this software too. It's free and called SketchUp. Not to difficult to learn. I find it helpful in laying out things like this. Also designed the shed i'll be building next spring with it too!

Also, the flat tool rest on the right over the curved side looks disjointed to me.

How about this for the tool rest area? I thought about making that piece more slanted so accessing scissors would be easier (at least in theory)

WOW!!! I really really like the slant and I believe your theory is sound. Not that I'm into feng shui or anything but unnoticed fragments of coherence sublimely muddle the mind leaving you to consciously wonder why your having a shitty day. That slanted tool rest will bring order to the mind. At least that's what my wife's interior designer would say.

Thanks. I keep going back and forth on those designs. Might just have to make both and see which I like better, then maybe give the other one away.

I made two of these. One for my local TU chapter to raffle off (pictured here) and kept another for myself. I got the basic idea from the Global Fly Fisher site and modified it quite a bit. Materials were purchased from Home Depot and took about 5 or 6 hours to complete over a weekend. Materials cost about $40 bucks to make both of them.

original_fly_and_angle_desk.jpg

You did a great job on that station DrLogik. Hope mine comes out half as good. What did you envision the pedestals on corners to be used for?

Drlogik can you put a value on this table if you were to sell it?

I made two of these. One for my local TU chapter to raffle off (pictured here) and kept another for myself. I got the basic idea from the Global Fly Fisher site and modified it quite a bit. Materials were purchased from Home Depot and took about 5 or 6 hours to complete over a weekend. Materials cost about $40 bucks to make both of them.

original_fly_and_angle_desk.jpg

I like your Ideas. Looks great

This is kind of how I imagine it ending up. Took some advice from you guys about the extra thread storage.

Maybe I will explore making smaller holders for adhesives and tools that I can just tuck under the display stand... hmmm.

May be a bit late, but better late than never. With your new vice you will see a coil spring around the arm or head of the vice. This is to hold materials in to keep them out of the way while you perform other operations. Keep that idea in mind.
Modern dry fly hackle is expensive stuff (though on a per fly basis no more expensive than the old stuff). Each feather can tie two or more flies. Saddle hackle can tie 6 to 12 flies per hackle. However they can only tie this number of flies if you can keep track of the piece that you have left.

That's where this little gadget comes in. Get a closed coil spring 4 or 5 inches long 1/4inch to 3/8inch diameter. Take a piece of wood at least 1/2 inch thick, If you like you can put a fancy edge around it. Drill 2 holes 1 inch closer together than the length of the spring the same size as the spring diameter. Push the ends of the spring into the holes. You can incorporate this into your bench top, or make it a stand alone unit as I have.

When you cut a length of tinsel enough for 6 flies slip it in the spring, when you finish one fly's hackle put the remaining hackle in the spring. Anything, well almost anything, can be held in this spring until you need it again. What it will save you in materials will pay for the spring many times over.

Cheers,

C.