Fly Tying

I've had a FishPond Shooting Star backpack/chestpack combo for >10 years and it is still going, although in the next few I should buy a new one while I can still find them. It appears that you can FishPond is no longer offering a large sized backpack combined with a larger sized chest pack. You get a large backpack connected to a vest, or a small backpack with a small chest pack...but not a larger backpack and larger chest pack together. :(

I want the larger backpack for hiking and the larger chest pack because I can't carry only 2 boxes haha.

On the positive side, I'm sold on the quality of the FishPond stuff, I beat the crap out of this bag, over stuff it, have been drenched in rain (it has a rain fly), toss it around, and it still keeps going. Finally some of the bungees are dry rotting.

Anyway, hard to imagine having anything else. It's super versatile, works for longer distance hiking/fishing days, road fishing, and everything in between.

I've only ever owned the one pack I started with. Everything I might need is in it, and I know where it all is at all times. Getting a new pack would be worse than getting a new phone, computer, house, job and mother in law all in the same afternoon.

Yeah, but just like the stuck up, pretty girl in school ... she's got all kinds of drooling guys just off screen that will carry everything for her.

Here's my Tenkara neck pack. Thats all I carry when going minimalist. In the "accessory" pocket are a spare leader and a copy of my fishing and driver's license in a zip-loc bag (for wet wading). Also not shown is a "test tube" of San Juan worms I carry. I keep this in the SUV with a Tenkara Ito rod.

sEWUFFw.jpg

I consider myself a minimalist as well when wading and I'll carry two or three tins of flies. You really got it pared down there. I may have to revisit my load.

I have a fishing bag. It's a backpack with the following:

small camp stove

3 cans of chili

couple spoons

compass

spare leaders

tackle box (primarily for bass and similar)

fire starters & matches

T.P.

water

snacks (most important when the kids come along!)

super small first aid kit

river thermometer

spare reel loaded ready to go except flies

And plenty of room for other trip specific items I may want/need such as shotgun shells if it's also waterfowl season.

As a note, I would like to add that this very convenient bag comes with me to almost any fishing trip, but stays in or near the car or goes along in the canoe since most canoe rides are for warm water fish, but occasionally I'll take it along when I have to hike a ways to get to where I'm going for trout since it has food and water. When trout fishing I take along my trout vest and has every I need for trout fishing and can go many of miles have all the tackle I usually need.

Jeff

Here's my Tenkara neck pack. Thats all I carry when going minimalist. In the "accessory" pocket are a spare leader and a copy of my fishing and driver's license in a zip-loc bag (for wet wading). Also not shown is a "test tube" of San Juan worms I carry. I keep this in the SUV with a Tenkara Ito rod.

sEWUFFw.jpg

That's a great set up, Charlie! Just the basics...

Not everyone sees the need to wear a pack or vest when fly fishing....

Looks ain't everything. If she can angle as good as she looks, then she's a keeper.

Looks like a vest to me, but I don't think she's fishing- crowding the reel like that shows imbalance in the tackle, eh?

Always prefered the vest with lotta pockets especially on new spot where could go from midges to streamers and anything in between. I use lotta inexpensive back packs for hunting and contemplated the sling packs to replace the vest. I don't like a bulk at my front. Already got dat! Bad about wanting to carry the "kitchen sink" but after fishing a place usually end up with fly box, leader/tippets, tools in a just a shirt/ wader pocket. I don't usually carry sammitches when I'm fishing.

IMG-0003.jpg

IMG-5666.png

sEWUFFw.jpg

Yes! This is the way to do it. I have a Fishpond sling that I can't stand and I need about 2% of what is in it. Doesn't help it's my pack for both fresh and saltwater fishing. I'm downsizing my pack this year and creating one for each purpose.

Have to shop them in person, but I wouldn't mind this: medicinebow_chest.jpg

My regular trout pack is a small Orvis over-the-shoulder model that holds two fly boxes, a leader wallet, and some oddments. Discontinued, of course. It's about the size of one vest lower pocket. Lower left in the image below (if I can get it to work). Just perfect for the little Brookie streams and branches I trout fish. The only problem is that if I want to switch spools I have to go back to the SUV unless I thought to put the spare spool in a jacket pocket.

3652613385_701aff4544_b.jpg

The only problem is that if I want to switch spools I have to go back to the SUV unless I thought to put the spare spool in a jacket pocket.

Ooo. I didn't consider this. I only have one spool right now, but if I was to get another I suppose I would need a place for it...

Thanks for opening my eyes, i still need to go see these in person.

I like the idea of the chest pack and everything being right in front of you. That's the one issue I have with the sling. It carries a lot (more than I need), but you have to undo straps and twist it around your body to get anything. I just find it more of a nuisance than a convenience.

Usually I have in mind how I am going to fish before I leave the vehicle so it's not a huge issue. But it would be agony to have a hatch pop up when all you have loaded is sinking nymph line.

But if you have a pocket in your waders . . .

For bass fishing I have a single strap pack - I believe called a "sling pack" - that has the strap out of the center of the top and the lower end clips to either side. I find if I wear it on my left side with the strap over my neck and right shoulder and keep a water bottle on the low side the weight and balance keeps it out of the way behind my back.

I see these from $20 to $120 - mine is more on the $20 end. Enough room I carry a Cliff's Bugger Barn, soft wallet for nymphs and streamers and a whole spare loaded reel for my bass rod. Fits nicely behind my seat in the kayak, too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N4HUIP6/ref=sspa_dk_detail_10?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01N4HUIP6