Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

Dubbing brush machine

OK so I think a lot of you are getting this wrong of what I mean... The brush maker that I have makes a brush only about 7 inches long. The fly I am tying only needs about 2 to 3 turns of the brush. I am not looking for a low quality brush, I just want something as long as the EP brushes. However the EP brushes are just so darn expensive, so it would be better for me to make my own. Again the EP brushes are about a foot and a half long, and mine is only 7... sooooo Im not sure why people are jumping to the conclusion that Im trying to make low quality brushes. I do want them longer than the junky brush tool I have can make, but not looking to make one crazy long. With only 2-3 turns needed for the brush, I can tie 3-4 on one EP brush without damaging the brush or matting it. Ive tried. Just would like to get one to make about that long thats all. Thanks!

No one ... I repeat, no one thinks you're looking for a low quality brush. Many of us have pointed out that making too long of a brush MIGHT result in low quality brushes.

The only brush makers I can find online that are long like you want are "home made".

No one said you are looking to tie with low quality brushes. I simply pointed out that with length comes diminishing returns on quality.

DIY is the way to go, but it doesn't sound like an option for you. Mine isn't motor driven, it's me-driven via a wooden wheel mounted on a roller blade bearing. Turns nice and smooth on the bearing. Mine is making brushes about 12-13" long. No durability issues whatsoever. Use the right wire and I don't think you'll have durability issues. Uni stainless steel brush wire is awesome stuff. If you're using something like Ultrawire, don't expect it to hold up well. The stuff is too weak and soft to spin up tight.

DIY is the way to go, but it doesn't sound like an option for you. Mine isn't motor driven, it's me-driven via a wooden wheel mounted on a roller blade bearing. Turns nice and smooth on the bearing. Mine is making brushes about 12-13" long. No durability issues whatsoever. Use the right wire and I don't think you'll have durability issues. Uni stainless steel brush wire is awesome stuff. If you're using something like Ultrawire, don't expect it to hold up well. The stuff is too weak and soft to spin up tight.

I dont need a motor, this sounds ok to me. That brush wire is good stuff for sure! Ill have to figure out how to make my own somehow

Mcflylures: I have a pretty simple brush rig that could be built for longer (or shorter) brushes in length. I'm not sure mine would give you what you are looking for. I've made very few brushes and what I end up with have been very tightly made, more like a dubbing using wire in stead of thread. I use an electric drill to power it. If you think what I have would work shoot me a PM and I can give you more info.

Thanks everyone. Im just gonna use mine for now. The thing didnt spin well anymore. Its a cheap one and poorly made. It doesnt spin at all really. But I figured a way to attach a drill to it and now it spins with the drill. Can barely spin it manually anymore but Im still using it. Ill upgrade at one point. Looks like Im moving out of my RV and into an apartment soon, so hopefully I can make one at that point.

I made a dubbing brush machine last winter. The design incorporates some features I liked on commercial machines and some of the DIY versions I saw on the internet. With regard to the original poster who wanted to make longer brushes, my machine is designed for the option. The base has a T-track and the various components of the machine attach to the base through the T-track. Thus they can be repositioned if one wants to change the length and more importantly, it is a small task to make a much longer base if one wants to make really long brushes.

The hook fixture on the left has a spring loaded element that will move inward as the brush shortens. There is a screw knob to adjust the tension on the spring. The rotating head at the right end is crank driven with the shaft mounted on a pair of bearings. So far I haven't felt a need to motorize the thing - the crank works fine.

I have found brushes that are around 12" work fine for me. I use them mainly for pike flies.

I wish I could find a way to make the pictures show bigger. I've tried resizing them but they still show up the same.

post-60155-0-11695400-1572294563_thumb.jpg

post-60155-0-28195400-1572294713_thumb.jpg

Those are "thumbnails", Terry. Click on them and the full size picture displays. Looks very nicely constructed!

I made a dubbing brush machine last winter. The design incorporates some features I liked on commercial machines and some of the DIY versions I saw on the internet. With regard to the original poster who wanted to make longer brushes, my machine is designed for the option. The base has a T-track and the various components of the machine attach to the base through the T-track. Thus they can be repositioned if one wants to change the length and more importantly, it is a small task to make a much longer base if one wants to make really long brushes.

The hook fixture on the left has a spring loaded element that will move inward as the brush shortens. There is a screw knob to adjust the tension on the spring. The rotating head at the right end is crank driven with the shaft mounted on a pair of bearings. So far I haven't felt a need to motorize the thing - the crank works fine.

I have found brushes that are around 12" work fine for me. I use them mainly for pike flies.

I wish I could find a way to make the pictures show bigger. I've tried resizing them but they still show up the same.

attachicon.gif DBM-1.jpg

attachicon.gif IMGP6698.JPG

Very nice machine, if I had one, I'd want it to be just like that.