Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
richmce

bucktail flies

ive heard alot of anglers trolling/pulling bucktail flies on a 3 way rig for walleyes and white bass.most are just simple two color bucktail on a 2 or 4 sized hook.  i would think a salmon style hook would be better than a straight eye or down eye. has anyone ventured into this way of fishing ?

We pull all manner of streamer flies for trout and walleye locally, in Lake DeSmet, one of the most effective is black over black, sparse bucktail, red hackle collar.... #2 or 4# down eye streamer hooks.  Some people run them about 40 inches behind cowbells or large flashers  Have fun🎣🎣😎😎

We've always called them teasers and they have been fished in fresh and salt water for generations. Not only by way of a weighted three way rig but also with bobbers and eggs. 

I've got an acquaintance in Fresno who fishes for Stripers in the reservoirs there.  Trolling streamer flies is the only way he goes.  His stories are pretty good, but the only time I've been able to go with him, we never caught a thing.

If I remember correctly, his were heavy wire, straight shank hooks.  2 to 4 inches long.

No offense intended, Rich, but I don't like trolling.  I like "fishing" and sitting there waiting for something to happen isn't "fishing" to me.   To me, it is exactly the same as bait fishing from the shore, except you're in a boat.

And, there are times and places that bait-plunging from the shore is waaaaaay Fun...

So, trolling fans, put up some rigs if you got em.  

Those below, on the right side,  tied on #14AP, ring eye, a FireTail Brown Hackle Peacock, when dragged behind the kayak, is usually good for a couple Rainbows, while traversing to my real fishing spots at local lake🎣🎣😎😎

8F69EA57-A1B1-4B28-9117-E3A5758F292F.jpeg

Edited by Flat Rock native
The picture is a Gray Hackle Peacock on larger hook

we have a small park district lake in rochelle il. its 80 acres  i plan to troll the bucktails while i explore the depths and make a map.  once an area is found i can cast away.

I have tried tying two or three flies onto a leader and I have a friend that I usually tie a few dozen or so for him that way. I do not see an advantage other than no tangles in the rig, he has  not caught any more or less than anyone else. I like to troll tandem flies or long shank (8-9xlong) flies out of my canoes. I do use a few sections of lead core line to reach desired depth. My typical rig is a 9 foot, 8 or 9 wgt.  rod, intermediate fly line, loop to loop connected  lead core line  ( one, two or three color sections added or removed as needed) and a loop to  loop fluorocarbon  final leader with a barrel swivel tied in. Stopped using more than one fly per rig a while ago (regulations limit one fly barbless for brood stock salmon) never liked chains of flies anyway.

i have seen several rigs with up to 3 flies on a leader. i will settle on one leader bout 3ft from the 3 way swivel and another a foot or two above it that will be 5ft back. that one will be on a small swivel or loop knot on the main line.i also tied some flies bucktail over satin and all satin.the fish will have to let me know what they like

About the only trolling that I've ever done has been for panfish, and for Striped Bass or Bluefish, and sometimes Spanish mackerel  in the Chesapeake Bay. For panfish I've trolled small "Alabama rigs" with 2 jigs on them and small willow leaf blades. That was in MD, and they restrict using more than 2 hooks per rig. 

For Stripers, it was mostly with bucktail jigs, or bigger lures like parachutes, spoons or surgical hose lures. We caught Bluefish on the same lures, and for Spanish spoons were what we used. 

At times, bucktails teasers were added, but not something I did a lot of. If I'm fishing a bucktail, that's not a jig, then it's with fly gear and I'm not trolling it. I know guys who use bucktail teasers frequently with lures for surf fishing. Same basic types as you guys have mentioned, two colors of bucktail, and often some flash, and on various size hooks, usually 2/0 to 6/0. Those same teasers work well alone with fly tackle for casting. 

These are some that I've tied. 

100_4365.JPG

thumbnail_IMG_0651.jpg