Fly Tying
petelangevin

What feathers give best action on wooly buggers?

18 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

I have caught several species with Wooly worms.

Woolly worms are great fish catchers, as are woolly boogers, I'm wondering if there are any more differences than the tail. It appears to me to be the only one.

My favorite hackle for buggers is schlappen. It's very soft and webby, with lots of movement, which I like. It doesn't come in smaller sizes, though, so it's best for flies bigger than about a #6. Not a problem for me, I don't fish buggers in smaller sizes. 

24 minutes ago, spiralspey said:

My favorite hackle for buggers is schlappen. It's very soft and webby, with lots of movement, which I like. It doesn't come in smaller sizes, though, so it's best for flies bigger than about a #6. Not a problem for me, I don't fish buggers in smaller sizes. 

I agree.  I use large schlappen for my size 4 buggers for smallies and they add a ton of movement to my flies

8 hours ago, Mark Knapp said:

Woolly worms are great fish catchers, as are woolly boogers, I'm wondering if there are any more differences than the tail. It appears to me to be the only one.

If you think about it, a Saucer is like a Wolly Bugger with a feather tail

20 hours ago, mikechell said:

like mine with eyes, too.  Does that make them NOT wooly buggers?

I put eyes on a lot of my larger buggers, Mike.  

Chili Pepper- Black.jpg

Chili Pepper.jpg

Green Chili.jpg

White River Demon.jpg

6 hours ago, DarrellP said:

If you think about it, a Saucer is like a Wolly Bugger with a feather tail

Can you show me a picture? I googled "Saucer fly pattern" but came up with nothing.

On 4/13/2020 at 9:08 PM, Mark Knapp said:

Mark, indeed there is a 2nd distinction as well, but it is somewhat technical.  According to Woolly Wisdom (Gary Soucie, 2005) hackle on a woolly worm should be hen hackle wound with the dull side forward which forces the hackle fibers to face forward.  On a woolly bugger, hackle recommended is rooster plamered in a manner that forces hackle fibers backwards.

Of course these distinctions apply only to woolly worms and woolly buggers used to target fish with brains bigger than a pea.

5 hours ago, mikemac1 said:

Mark, indeed there is a 2nd distinction as well, but it is somewhat technical.  According to Woolly Wisdom (Gary Soucie, 2005) hackle on a woolly worm should be hen hackle wound with the dull side forward which forces the hackle fibers to face forward.  On a woolly bugger, hackle recommended is rooster plamered in a manner that forces hackle fibers backwards.

Of course these distinctions apply only to woolly worms and woolly buggers used to target fish with brains bigger than a pea.

That's the information I was seeking, thank you very much. Those nuances are best spent on a tier more sophisticated than myself and for fish that are smarter than the ones I like to fish for. I do like to try and tie things the right way, however and will use your information the best way I can. Thank you.

19 hours ago, DarrellP said:

My damned auto correct turned Seaduce into Saucer.  Sorry to disappoint.

AH, that makes much more sense, I will check it out. I was actually trying to come up with a possible word that you might have meant. I came up with nothing.Thanks

Edit, Having looked that up, I like that fly very much and I see what you mean. I'm gunna have to tie me some up, thank you.

You're welcome.  Old Chico Fernandez pattern. Popular in Louisiana and FL for redfish, etc.  I think Salmon and Steelhead would like them.  Slow sinking.