Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Jacks Grampa

A good day on the water

Been fishing a new place and I'm beginning to learn where they are. Not really new but I've never had a boat before. The 11 inch sunfish is pretty good size for around here. The surprise of the day was the bass on a size 16 bead head prince.

boat.jpg

bass.jpg

fish.jpg

Edited by Jacks Grampa
typo

Nice to hear that the river has recovered from the pollution and by looking at the fish is doing well.

Edited by Lesg

Lady Bird Johnson was a big part of that. After she passed away the city renamed it in her honor. I've been around it and Barton Creek for nearly 60 years and they're nicer now  than I've ever seen. Not heavily fished either. I'll be back out Monday morning.

An 11" sunfish would be a complete toad, a once in a lifetime sunfish in my parts. Enjoy the boat and the new exploration. 

I am enjoying the boat. I had to give up motorcycling when I wrecked a knee. At the gym with a" Master Trainer". The orthopedic surgeon said "Overweight and over 50 lunges should be illegal". 23 year old trainer didn't understand 63 year old bodies. I miss the bike but I'm really enjoying fishing more. Didn't catch anything yesterday worth posting a picture of but my casting is improving.

18 minutes ago, Jacks Grampa said:

Learning where some of the larger bass are now.

Beautiful fish, beautiful green trees.  

They are healthy and the water is clean. Lots of structure and bait fish. It's a tailrace so the water stays fairly cool even in summer. Saw an osprey the other day which is a good sign. Time to tie some more wooly buggers. I only get about three fish before they're torn up.

19 hours ago, Jacks Grampa said:

They are healthy and the water is clean. Lots of structure and bait fish. It's a tailrace so the water stays fairly cool even in summer. Saw an osprey the other day which is a good sign. Time to tie some more wooly buggers. I only get about three fish before they're torn up.

You might need a better booger. Do you tie your hackle down on both ends and counter wrap with wire? Also, you can try rabbit for a tail rather than marabou. It's tougher.