Fly Tying
flytire

May Flies From the Vise

23 minutes ago, Sandan said:

Playing with the chukar Flat Rock native sent. The quill slip wings are chukar tail. The caddis was just for something different

PHOTO_20200507_200044.jpg

👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

30 minutes ago, samsonboi said:

Pat, I know you're a streamer guy. Do you, or anyone else, have tips for my streamer tying? It definitely needs work.

Well your streamer looks pretty good. The jc eye is a little too large for the fly though. Is the bead head something 

that is called for or is it something you decided to use ?   Why are you so low with your hook inventory ?  My experience 

with freshwater streamers is pretty scant and I believe flytire is the best on the board when it comes to tying and knowledge of New England streamers.

1 hour ago, samsonboi said:

My variation on the Dark Spruce. I took out my last streamer hook and I say to myself "Hmm. What do I tie with this?" Wood duck tail, floss body, oval tinsel rib, peacock, tie in woodchuck underfur bundle, more peacock, tie in squirrel tail, more peacock, tie in brown hackle wings, tiny bit more peacock, jungle cock eyes, dubbed copper head. It's nothing much, but it's an achievement for me because I don't tie many streamers. Mark Knapp/his friend's care package included some streamer materials, so I thought I'd try some real streamers. What I want to do next time is add some more beard between the dubbing and the peacock, maybe some gray or black squirrel tail slanted back to join with the woodchuck underfur, since the front of the belly side looks a bit naked. Also I should have definitely tried to get the JC to lie more flat, but I kind of like the effect. It'll probably sort of flick back and forth a little in the water.

I like it. It will certainly catch fish and it don't look bad either.

3 hours ago, niveker said:

I just posted this in the 'Classic Stealhead Fly Swap' thread recently hosted by DarrellP, but I thought I wold also post it here also.  These are the flies tied by the participants, not me.    Beg pardon if the rules prohibit posting this twice.   

Those are great, I didn't get mine yet but I'm looking forward to them. Funny thing is, I forgot which one I tied. I'll have to go back and look it up.

Great job everybody.

1 minute ago, Mark Knapp said:

I like it. It will certainly catch fish and it don't look bad either.

+1, and hoping vicrider will provide the pointers, Nick is a Master of the DSpruces, among many other things 👍👍🎣🎣😎

2 hours ago, Mogup said:

Well your streamer looks pretty good. The jc eye is a little too large for the fly though. Is the bead head something 

that is called for or is it something you decided to use ?   Why are you so low with your hook inventory ?  My experience 

with freshwater streamers is pretty scant and I believe flytire is the best on the board when it comes to tying and knowledge of New England streamers.

Thought the JC eye was a bit big too, was the smallest one I had and figured I'd use it. I just stuck the bead head on the hook just because, and the JC eye, same deal.

Wasn't asking specifically about freshwater streamers- saw your saltwater streamers and thought they were good. Low on dry hooks because I tied up a big batch of dries in trade for a prewar Hardy St. George and the streamer hooks I just never ordered- I got some assorted sample hooks, including a few streamer hooks, from Sierra Fly Hooks when I ordered Simi-Seal from their eBay store.

That will be remedied soon- I'm getting a batch of Mustad dry hooks and some streamer hooks too.

And Flytire slipped my mind. I agree, his streamers are beautiful. I think I will shoot him a PM asking if he has any tips if he doesn't see this post.

while it may be a spruce fly variation (which has been mentioned) its not a traditional spruce fly

recipes are readily available doing an online search. there is no jungle cock on spruce flies

dark spruce (tied todays style, non splayed) top

dark spruce splayed wings (original) bottom

Dark-Spruce-Fly-600-vert.jpg

light spruce (tied todays style, non splayed) top

light spruce splayed wings (original) bottom

Light-Spruce-600-vert.jpg

instead of doing a copy and paste of the entire article, here is what i wrote on my blog (with a little history)

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2017/03/spruce-fly.html

http://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-spruce.html

I guess I'll ruin the flow of some really nice trout flies, and post this monstrosity.  Think I finally came up with frog pattern that I like.  Any resemblance to an actual frog is coincidental.

P5070535 (2).JPG

P5070539 (2).JPG

P5070548 (3).JPG

35 minutes ago, flytire said:

while it may be a spruce fly variation (which has been mentioned) its not a traditional spruce fly

recipes are readily available doing an online search. there is no jungle cock on spruce flies

dark spruce (tied todays style) top

dark spruce splayed wings (original) bottom

Dark-Spruce-Fly-600-vert.jpg

light spruce (tied todays style) top

light spruce splayed wings (original) bottom

Light-Spruce-600-vert.jpg

instead of doing a copy and paste of the entire article, here is what i wrote on my blog (with a little history)

http://flytyingnewandold.blogspot.com/2017/03/spruce-fly.html

http://smallstreamreflections.blogspot.com/2018/03/the-spruce.html

Thank you for the excellent resources. Nice article(s). (not sure if you are Brk Trt) If that second article is also you, are you the same Brk Trt as on Sparse Grey Matter?

And you are right, my Dark Spruce Variation was meant to be different. I was just looking through my tying drawers and saying "Ok, what can I add here?"

Samsonboi probably that bead will affect the movement of that streamer in a way that wasn’t intended.

Do you think that is a bad thing? I don't really fish much with streamers either. Just started learning how to retrieve streamers this month. I have never caught a fish on a normally fished (retrieved or swung) streamer. I have caught fish on small leeches and any size Woollys, but that was dead drifted.

The only flies I liked before were dries, soft hackles and emergers, nymphs, and Woolly Buggers. (in that order)

Badger hackle flies....Got the neck after varmint killed one of daughters roosters.  Feathered streamers need to be tied so the wings don’t fowl in the hook.  Matuka style with ribbing holding them down and the ends behind the hook bend is a good way to do that...

A note here to the young tiers.   It appears youse guys are using huge thread.  Not sure exactly what size it is but a lot smaller tying thread would greatly help the heads of your flies.  Leaving more room at the eye for the finish too.  We here to help.👍

98C7915D-60CD-459C-A13A-F8CE668DC1D3.png

9DD686A5-4384-4FCF-9051-8F3C0473279D.jpeg

BA6D8FAF-17DE-4308-A184-C392A85C91BD.jpeg

9 minutes ago, denduke said:

Badger hackle flies....Got the neck after varmint killed one of daughters

Nice work👍👍🎣🎣😎😎

46 minutes ago, denduke said:

Badger hackle flies....Got the neck after varmint killed one of daughters roosters.  Feathered streamers need to be tied so the wings don’t fowl in the hook.  Matuka style with ribbing holding them down and the ends behind the hook bend is a good way to do that...

A note here to the young tiers.   It appears youse guys are using huge thread.  Not sure exactly what size it is but a lot smaller tying thread would greatly help the heads of your flies.  Leaving more room at the eye for the finish too.  We here to help.👍

Hmmm.. a varmint killed your daughters rooster. Kind of convenient don't you think. And pretty coincidental, you being a fly tier and all.

Of course I'm just kidding, we know you wouldn't kill your daughters rooster for the feathers. But, would you admit that you probably looked at that chicken when he was alive and thought the feathers would make some nice flies?

They did make some really nice flies too BTW. Very nice.