Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
cphubert

Tier's block

This post is more of a vent for my frustration, I find it a lot easier to tie patterns from a established recipe. I plan on a whip finish and letting it sit for a while.

Having a hard time finishing this fly (color combinations for wing) started it as a tribute for memorial day with the "for military merit" as its center. tried two different wings (1st golden pheasant with red, white , & blue married with bronze mallard)( 2nd  Amherst pheasant with white, purple, white, black, married wing with bronze mallard) I like the Amherst more than the gold pheasant but have a complete loss now for wing color. was planning to add small yellow macaw cheeks and blue macaw horns possible jungle cock if it looks alright. 

purpleheartfly.jpg

Me, I’m usually too busy tying what I need to worry about getting this pattern or that one just right... 

The same goes for rods needed to be built (or repaired), boat and trailer stuff needing repair or replacing, etc.

No, I never have trouble sleeping at night either...

I took a disabled vet out fishing yesterday. I can't help you in the creativity department since i possess not an ounce of creativity. I do however appreciate your time and efforts and I'm confident you will figure it out. The "military merit" (Purple Heart) base and the yellow tail (great significance for those returning home.) I think it's a homerun of a start and took some great pondering to get it where it's at. Good job!

Hi  have a look at Oliver Edwards a fly tier's masterclass.   Rodger Fogg north country spiders   Vince Marino in the ring of a rise   dates proper what  the trout said   Gary la fountains. Caddis flies.      French fishing flies.   Darrel Martins micro patterns  hope this gets rid of your fly tiers block  some times it's better take step back and make a sketch of your intended fly make notes of suggested tying materials this is what I do when I am trying to design a new pike fly or trout or  sea trout etc I a fly tying patterns record  happy tying keep your chin up in these difficult times stay well

Kind regards Steve 😉 

Sounds good to me. What about guinea for a splash of one or another color?

Or if you want to take the easy route just copy this pattern, whip finish, and be done...

liberty_1_orig.thumb.jpg.dddbbde1e8cf7ae6db758f426533871c.jpg

Chug that looks like a Bud Guidry or Ron Lucas tied fly, I miss their work,  a great inspiration for artistic flies.

On 5/27/2020 at 11:51 AM, chugbug27 said:

It's from the website of a gentleman named Tom Herr

https://www.artisticflytying.com/

If you ever get the chance to meet Tom in person, it's even more impressive when you can hear him personally explain a fly.

Every feather, every wrap, pretty much every "everything" is there for a purpose, and has a certain significance. He doesn't just tie for visual appeal, his flies tell a story. 

I suffer from constant tyers block.   My creativity level is below 0.   I stick to fairly easy stuff when i can’t think.   Gurglers, and other foam creatures.