Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
terp

Renzetti Traveler Head On A Regal Revolution Stem?

Might be easier to see if just swapping vise heads would suit your purpose as Regal jaws come off. Whether Renzetti's jaws will fit for true rotary is to be seen.

It’s threaded but it doesn’t want to come off. That’s what I meant. In the interest of science I’ll monkey with mine a bit more, I tried to unscrew it but it didn’t want to. The screw might be permanently epoxied in??? I don’t know. I’ll let you know what I find out messing with mine.

Ok so... I applied a lot of torque to the barrel and it did not turn. Yes, it is one piece to the joint. There’s a material holding the threads from moving. It’s very hard to see. I could not tell if this was epoxy or a very, very good weld or solder job.

Don’t go trying to remove the head from the stem

it may be a press fit

taking it apart may void any warranty 

it’s not worth it. If the original poster really wants to know he should be doing his own experiments on his own vise

he hasn’t been back to this thread so it may not be that important to him

Yeah but @flytire it didn’t work anyway, I was careful and only applied reasonable torque to a point that would unscrew a stuck screw but not break a press fit, soldered, or epoxied seal.

Thanks for all the thoughts.  I'm attaching a few photos.  Based on the one post with the Renzetti stem picture, it doesn't look like it would work.  Renzetti's screw in from the top, whereas the Regal Revolutions get "screwed into" the hole at the top of the stem.  The idea of trying to remove the Revolution head from the part that sticks down from the head and is screwed crosswise into the stem is interesting.  I'll try monkeying with it myself.  I'm probably better off just getting a Renzetti stem and jaw rather than using the Regal stem.  As one poster said, all the stems are 3/8".  However, after piecemealing a jaw and stem, I end up pretty close to the price of a full vise.  

As to why I want a second rotary vise, that's a good question.  I like my Regal Revolution (have had it for about 3 months).  But by angling the jaw up at 45 degrees in order to gain better access to behind the hook, you lose the "true rotary" ability.  If you rotate the vise at that point, it's not on axis.  The only way to rotate it on axis is to position the jaw parallel to the ground.  But then you lose access to the back of the hook.  I think this is where the true brilliance of the Renzetti-style rotary comes into play.  It almost makes me wish I had bought a Regal Medallion for the "bulldog" grip for when it's really needed, and then a Renzetti-style "true rotary" tying.  Like most people, I've found that I don't use the rotary function much.  But I did when I was using a Renzetti Traveler knock-off before buying the Revolution.  

m attacIMG_5557.thumb.jpg.74f498ebdeec677a9a00e661e3033576.jpgIMG_5555.thumb.jpg.1c10447b764e604b19f46a96153d48a9.jpgIMG_5556.thumb.jpg.9b44521d850835057dfa18523cba4b6e.jpg

I was thinking of a Peak, but it seems like the Griffin Mongoose gets better reviews.  And at $180, the price is just below a Renzetti Traveller.  Decisions, decisions...  Then I've also been thinking: if I go, I should go big and get a Dynaking Barracuda...  I could become one of those guys who collects vises.

25 minutes ago, terp said:

I was thinking of a Peak, but it seems like the Griffin Mongoose gets better reviews.  And at $180, the price is just below a Renzetti Traveller.  Decisions, decisions...  Then I've also been thinking: if I go, I should go big and get a Dynaking Barracuda...  I could become one of those guys who collects vises.

The peak is good as I've heard

I get the impression you already have the traveler head...just buy the stem from Renzetti. The traveler stems run from $16.99 to $23.99 plus shipping. Then put the vise in any base or c-clamp you have on hand.

Renzetti traveler is $180 on their website and other websites

look for websites that offer discounts for savings

I have a cheap Traveller knock-off, not an actual Renzetti. Some places sell just the jaws, which is what I was trying to do.  My Regal base is awesome (heavy), and I don't like clamps, so I'm just looking for a stem and a head/jaw at this point.