Fly Tying
DogtaEff

Replacing 330 grain line on Sage’s original Largemouth rod

Hope everyone is well

I bought the Sage Largemouth rod the first year it came out. Came with a 330 grain, front heavy line. I need to change the line but have no clue where to start. 

The 330 grain rating would convert to 11 weight line. Seems like way too much and I think the grain measurement is on the front loaded line. 

Any suggestions as to what line to replace this with?

Ryan

I use a sa titan taper for bass fishing any of the short shooting head style lines should serve you well though,  what wt rating is your rod?

The rod is Sage’s Largemouth Rod that is 7 feet and 11.5 inches long. It came with the custom line which is graded at 330 grain. 

The line is now 8 years old I need to replace it. 

I had the same issue. Sage couldn't help. 

Steve Godshall  (541840 2594) makes custom fly lines to order.  He recently made a new line for my first run SAGE Bass rod that makes the rod cast big flies accurately and with authority.  Nothing off the shelf did near as well. 

ddb

Probably a similar line to the titan taper or a bunch of those other short head wt forward lines just in a much heavier wt than you would normally use for bass. Lines of that nature pop up on sierra trading post pretty often, you could just order one that that wt for the first 30ft or whatever the length of the shooting has section of the line is.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:39 PM, DogtaEff said:

Hope everyone is well

I bought the Sage Largemouth rod the first year it came out. Came with a 330 grain, front heavy line. I need to change the line but have no clue where to start. 

The 330 grain rating would convert to 11 weight line. Seems like way too much and I think the grain measurement is on the front loaded line. 

Any suggestions as to what line to replace this with?

Ryan

The Rio Bass Fly Line is close to what you are describing.

1816830662_ScreenShot2020-08-09at8_23_00PM.thumb.png.4d6f4bf244786c111e10c453cdba8a3a.png

As I recall, that line was basically an integrated shooting head design.  I would look at the 10 wt versions of Rio's Outbound Short, Orvis's Bank Shot, or similar line tapers from other manufacturers.

Forgot about the outbound short, that would be a good one too, I use both that and the titan taper on my 8wt titan is floating outboundis full sink. 

always laughed like hell at the "7 feet 11.5 inches" BASS rod so it would be "TOURNAMENT LEGAL".....

Always used to be that the "weight" rating of a fly line corresponded to X amount of grains for the first thirty feet--- so if your 330 gr translates to an 11 weight,  then it's an 11 weight.    You could buy a 12 weight short taper WF and find someone with a digital handloading scale...  chop off 6 or so inches at a time and weigh the first 30 feet until you get what you need.  You don't care about the front taper with a line like that anyway.  

Why replace it? I have lines that are over 20 years old and still going strong. BTW, have WF lines and if I had to do it over, I would have DT on all my rods. Never thought WF gave an advantage.

I've had one or two anglers using those special Sage "shorties"... Pretty sure that Rio 10wt line listed would do what's needed - but maybe they actually do it in an 11wt... Those shorties are just the ticket for punching bugs up under overhanging mangrove at close quarters as long as your targets aren't too big...