Fly Tying
flytire

Cleaning day....

clean-up-day.jpg

....while i'm not a slob when it comes to my fly tying area (ive seen way worse than this mess), its time to clean up the bench, put away tying tools and materials, sort out the flies on the right into proper fly boxes and zip lock baggies, vacuum the tabletop and rug of errant tying materials, retire the renzetti for awhile and try the hmh trv vise again and maybe rearrange things here and there

most wont even care but so what

Ilike the light colored counter you have,   Mine is dark and i lose track of stuff all the time.   

if i had more than one vise i like the idea of swapping from time to time.   

1 hour ago, flytire said:

....while i'm not a slob when it comes to my fly tying area (ive seen way worse than this mess), its time to clean up the bench, put away tying tools and materials, sort out the flies on the right into proper fly boxes and zip lock baggies, vacuum the tabletop and rug of errant tying materials, retire the renzetti for awhile and try the hmh trv vise again and maybe rearrange things here and there

most wont even care but so what

That area isn't bad Norm.  Two types of people in the world, organized and not.  I take 5 minutes when I'm done to return everything where it belongs followed with a quick vacuuming of the desk top.   Mark Knapp say's "organized people are too lazy to hunt for stuff" - that's me.

1 hour ago, petelangevin said:

Ilike the light colored counter you have,   Mine is dark and i lose track of stuff all the time.   

plastic folding table

51oPX6NHQYL._AC_SX522_.jpg

I freely admit to being certifiable when it comes to my tying desk...specifically about light and bright. When we moved our current home 16 years ago I went looking for a piece of matte finish white Corian to cover the simple IKEA flat top desk I was using to tie on. All the big box places would sell was a full sheet, which lead me to an internet search and I found a place that custom cut the stuff for boats, docks and piers - specifically for use as fish cleaning and bait prep areas. End result was a piece cut to my specs of 32" x 47.5". It arrived 3 days later and I am still working on this damned near indestructible surface. It makes for a bright well lit work space and the matte finish is easy on the eyes. A little pricey for sure but 16 years later I will tell you it was money well spent!!!

Oh yea - I've also added a photo my secret special source of tying inspiration - 😎

DSC_0001 (2).JPG

DSC_0003 (2).JPG

DSC_0001 (3).JPG

flytire - I hope I didn't steal any of the thunder from your post and that sweet tying area of yours. Yea...we all need to do a little bit of making the spot neater and cleaner when finished whatever is on the agenda for the vise.

2 hours ago, SalarMan said:

I freely admit to being certifiable when it comes to my tying desk..

Guilty your Honor-  nice spot George!

@Salar Man

Nice crystal ball !  Does it come with a gypsy outfit and any predictions for the Nov. election ?

Nice benches gents. flytire, it looks like you just don't have enough bobbin holders or scissors. 😁

SalarMan, do you tie with your scissors in hand? How do you like those curved shaft scissors? I've been thinking of getting a pair but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

13 hours ago, Sandan said:

Nice benches gents. flytire, it looks like you just don't have enough bobbin holders or scissors. 😁

SalarMan, do you tie with your scissors in hand? How do you like those curved shaft scissors? I've been thinking of getting a pair but just haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Sandan - I do not tie with scissors in hand, just something I've never gotten into. Works for some folks, but not for me. The scissors are Dr. Slick "Bent Shaft Scissors" and for me at least...once I started using them I rarely use anything else. I have both the small arrow point and the heavier standard point versions. Well worth the money👍👌