Fly Tying
Bill_729

One PSA; One question

PSA: Wading just the other day, I found it necessary to step over a (big) fallen limb (as walking around it would have put me in over my head).  I noticed some  "catfish" line on my hip, which I have run into before. And I debated whether to try to "walk through it, or not". I decided to stop and cut myself loose. Even after taking a half step back it was pretty taut. Reaching around 6" toward the front, I had a "nasty catfish hook" seated into the front of my waders.  If I had taken another step, the flavor of this story might have been much different (makes me squirm a bit to think about pulling a big hook out of my thigh through my waders). The hook did not perforate my waders I think, but there is a reminder mark.  Seems a long time ago, I remember a book advising me to be careful around such things as fallen limbs. This is an affirmation of that fact for any folks that have not heard this variety of wisdom before. :: End of PSA ::

Question: I was casting my FG Fenwick #7 rod with WF line, this time casting a weighted streamer (I generally choose surface flies).  The casting was going pretty well. Then  I added a bb-sized piece of split shot, 6" above the fly, and it completely changed the dynamics (it turned "clunky"--a double tug at the end of the backcast).  I felt that most likely the line was not coming out of the water as high and it was hitting my rod on occasion (which can cause a real mess, as the split shot just swings around creating knots).  As I said, I was casting fine, without the split shot.  But on this, and other occasions, where I have added split shot, it turned into a "mosty-miserable" experience for me (after I lost half my leader this way, I tied on a popper to improve my attitude, caught my fish and went home!).   Perhaps my dilemma is with "wet fly fishing", or something else.  Is my guess that the line not coming as high out of the water on my backcast as with a dry fly (it restropect, it makes sense)? It seems to be coming, all to often, right back at my rod.  I am "self taught" (or self-untaught) , and I hope that you will please educate me!  : )

P.S. The split shot slid down the tippet repeatedly , so I added an overhand knot to keep that from happening. Surely that weakens the line and there must be a better way to deal with that..

P.S.S Are those streamers with a "weighty" metal bead added to the hook, a possible solution to my problem?

Thanks, Bill

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/how-to-fly-cast-weighted-fly-line/152074

This has worked for me but I do not get the longer distance. Try 2 smaller sized split shot and add them just above tippet knot (shorten the tippet  to match your desired length from fly to shot) I usually never fish less than 12-18" from shot.  

1 hour ago, cphubert said:

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/how-to-fly-cast-weighted-fly-line/152074

This has worked for me but I do not get the longer distance. Try 2 smaller sized split shot and add them just above tippet knot (shorten the tippet  to match your desired length from fly to shot) I usually never fish less than 12-18" from shot.  

Thank you for passing along this article.  I encountered the difficulties just as described. I had no idea I was expected to "totally change" my casting technique.  Evidently, what is required is more of a "lob".... (as opposed to a quick change of direction)...  Thanks again!   I think this article is a "must read" for anyone planning to fish with split shot.  I'll read it again later..and perhaps print it out!  : )

Thanks @redietz (and @cphubert), -- Orvis has really put out some outstanding instructional videos -- casting, but also, tying, fishing. I had been doing something similar casting with heavy stuff, but just from feeling it out over years of trial and error. Makes it clear and simple.

7 hours ago, Bill_729 said:

P.S. The split shot slid down the tippet repeatedly , so I added an overhand knot to keep that from happening. Surely that weakens the line and there must be a better way to deal with that..

Thanks, Bill

i wrap the tippet around the split shot before closing it. it will stay put and wont slide

just  a fly fishing tip

I think there are some decent youtube videos out there with Bob Clouser demonstrating how casting a weighted fly changes everything... but so does casting a big aero-resistant deer bug or popper, only different.   I cast weighted flies more often than not.   I think I subconsciously slow down the stop on both the backcast and forward cast to open up the loop a bit and HOPEFULLY  ease up on the tailing loop.   I'm far from perfect but I surprise myself all the time with my distance and accuracy.     In short,  YES,  casting a fly with some mass but not air resistance changes everything about the physics and calculus of the cast.    So does adding split shot to the leader.   It will never be as "good" as casting a well-balanced combination of rod, line, leader, and fly.  

11 hours ago, DarrellP said:

You might enjoy a sink tip or poly leader sink tip more than using split shot.

Hmmm...  I'll investigate, thanks!    -Bill