Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Ken Snouffer

Crappie

Started tying crappie jigs. Too new to tackle flies. Am amazed at what some of you can do with a few feathers and a speck of fur. Am interested to see what you all have tied for crappies.

The Fatal Attraction series has some killer patterns for my area (Central New York).  Crappie Candy is another nice pattern.  Fluff Butts (look at the fly pattern part of this site - just mentioned this pattern - I hadn't tied it with a bead head - always used lead wraps - but the pattern is still a simple and deadly old stand by.  I can send you a couple "flies" that started me in fly tying MANY years ago - even before I got my first vise!  It's called a Flutter Minn and was a 3 page article back around 1972 in Outdoor Life Magazine.  Just PM me (click on my name and it will lead you to a spot where you can send me a PM (private message).  Give me your mailing address and I'll send a couple out to you - no charge - I like working with newer tiers (check the fly swap section and you'll see).  Good luck with your crappie fishing and tight lines!

I've never specifically fish for crappie.  Probably because I prefer fishing top water.  I've caught some while targeting other pan fish. These are the two flies I caught them on.  The first I call an estaz bug.   Fairly, simple tie.  It was intended to mimic the small Mr. Twister grubs I used to fish for crappie before moved on to fly  fishing.  It should work tied on a jig hook. 

Second one is a large soft hackle tied on a size 6 hook.   These were tied for a Casting For Recovery retreat.   That's why the colors are pink and purple.  I'll probably tie up some over the winter in white and chartreuse.  Again, you could tie it on a jig hook.

estaz_bug.jpg

P9140281 (2).JPG

Caught a crappie from under a dock on Lake of the Ozarks. Good ol' Muddler Minnow! Only crappie on a fly.

Only time I would try them with a fly would be in shallow spring spawn situation.  Caught boat loads over the years vertical jigging and sometimes swimming a TexasRigged swimmer tail jig pulled over brush.  Any minnow pattern unweighted for the shallows and for deeper attempts would go to lead hour glass eyed flies so the hook would ride up and swim tails or spinners.  

0AE2033A-E2F5-4140-91EB-C1CC94E766DE.png

86FC6212-5DC9-489C-8922-3948BEE7E9A0.png

C4978C17-4D8A-4957-B28C-677B3B67B236.png

06F8B694-FE7B-4FD6-AE5B-70CFA20497AC.png

1 hour ago, flytire said:

i catch them on foam flies

AQ5eMKi.jpg

And I bet you tied this one using your feet! :) 

23 hours ago, WWKimba said:

And I bet you tied this one using your feet! :) 

Oh don’t be silly

i tie them with mittens on my feet

It's flytire's bar trick fly.  "Tie knot is a cherry stem?  Pfft!  Watch this!"  He puts all the materials in his mouth and spits out a finished fly. 

The women just swoon!