Fly Tying
Shmang

Speaking of Soft Hackles -what size ?

I routinely tie my Sott Hackles in 14 and 16 - does anyone go smaller or larger? My new Whiting Brahman Hen Cape has a myriad of sizes and I got to thinking of expaning my world view and experiementing with different sizes.

I have an upcoming trip this weekend and the streams are running low and clear so perhaps an 18 or 20 might be the ticket.

Thoughts?

I’ve had quite a bit of luck with 18 s in the fall. Don’t think I’ve tied or tried a 20 yet.

Go for it. I've had success with size 20 soft hackle Pheasant tail nymphs. Just be "gentle" winding the hackle. 2 turns is usually plenty

I've tied soft hackle PT Nymphs down to size 20.   Don't do it to often these days.   I tied some up for a CFR retreat that were size 6 or 8.   I used Guinea Hen for the hackle.

Thanks for your contributions. I have knocked out several in 18 and 20 already and they are not too bad in my mind. Every thread wrap counts when you start going small so I have had to  slow my roll a bit to ensure a quality effort.

Cant wait to fish them.

By the way I had a friend today out fishing and he hook and landed an18in rainbow on a Partridge & Orange sz 22 !!!  God bless him !

On my local waters in central Mass a size 14 seems to be the sweet spot, for myself anyway.  I tie and use #12's through #16. 

15 hours ago, Mogup said:

By the way I had a friend today out fishing and he hook and landed an18in rainbow on a Partridge & Orange sz 22 !!!  God bless him !

I saw that just before I write this. I tied some 22's Charlie Craven's soft hackle emerger last night

1 hour ago, Sandan said:

I saw that just before I write this. I tied some 22's Charlie Craven's soft hackle emerger last night

👍

My trip this weekend saw success with a size 18 soft hackle behind a size 16 bead head flash back nymph. Nothing huge but pretty steady action - many took it on the swing at the end of the cast - man that thump is exciting.  My 12 year old son outfished me by a wide margin - I dont know who was smiing more me or him.  

Brahma hen hackle + ice dub mixed body = success.

Can't wait to do it again.

Speaking of soft hackle.  First time I’ve sat down at the tying desk since I broke my ribs.  The hackle is a Furnace Metz hen that I just pu at a very nice price.  Look at those black tips !

8EB5F631-6FBB-4864-AAF6-869B456D6AFC.jpeg