Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
DonkeyHotay

Biodegradable Alternatives to Synthetic Fly Tying Materials

I'm just getting into fly fishing and figured I would learn how to tie flies as a way to learn more about etymology and pass the time until the early season begins this winter.  When I was looking at various patterns that work in winter, I noticed a lot of them use "flash" or "ice" in the dubbing or or as tails.  I assume both of these materials are synthetic since I haven't been able to determine otherwise and they look like shiny plastic.  Do I have any non-toxic/biodegradable options to add a bit of shine to my flies? Are their any coatings that serve a similar purpose?

Also for the tying material, is my only option for a non-poly material silk? 

Silk for thread. Seal's fur and polar bear fur have some sparkle... 🙃

Glass beads, metal beads, wires and tinsels, varnish... Cdc feathers and various dubbings trap air, which sparkle.

But how do you get away from nylon fishing line?... It breaks off and gets everywhere. 

Interesting, I didn't realize that fur could do that.  Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

There are a few companies that make biodegradable fishing line, though I personally haven't had the chance to use them yet since I mainly fish braided on my caster.  I realize that it might not be completely avoidable, but I really just want to minimize the amount of garbage I'm putting into the river, especially after reading about all the microplastics we have in our waterways.

Reminds me of the pair of Seal-Dri latex waders I used to have; 100% natural and completely worthless if the water temp was less than 60 degrees or the air temp was higher than 65 degrees.

I commend you on your quest.

Regards,
Scott

There are plenty of natural or biodegradable tying materials, some are hard to find or illegal (endangered and or protected), synthetic materials  where purposed to replace some of these or make the fly more durable, lighter, or improve the action and fish attracting properties. Do you want to fish a fly that is falling apart (degrading) while you fish it (bait does this and is natural) probably not, but most natural material will rot or rust if stored wet in a fly box that is not cared for including the hooks (some faster than others)

Thread- cotton or silk, waxed silk is still excellent material, cotton is rotten, literally, nylon or poly is the standard for today. Polar bear and seal, hard and or expensive to obtain from legal sources, has a natural translucency. But skunk, cashmere goat are acceptable natural substitutes. You can use others but synthetics are less expensive, more durable and easier sourced.

Stick to older patterns where more natural materials where used and substitute what you have for material no longer available. Tying flies should be for your enjoyment and your sense of accomplishment, If you feel the need to eliminate synthetics it can be easily done and plenty of fish are caught with natural materials. Have fun and I wish you tight lines.

I came across a great wideranging British blog post from Jan 2020 discussing traditional v new materials and trends. The author, Oliver Burch, has terrific perspective and gives lots of good advice along the way. Includes a discussion of flash and sparkle, but goes into the meat of  just about everything, except hollow hair. (Scroll down past the local fishing report and the discussion of his in-laws if that bores you.) 

https://www.fishingpassport.co.uk/blog/post/oliver-burchs-trout-and-grayling-monthly-report-january-2020

You have inspired me to take up fly tying using natural materials!  I am using cotton sewing thread to tie the flies.  They won't last as long, but isn't that the point?  I am new at this, but undaunted so far.  My friends are collecting materials for me-some hunt, some are picking up road kill.  My friend is going to gather polar bear hair from the mudflats of Akimiski Island for me.  It has lead me to a very interesting place in life.  Thanks for your inspiration.  I hope you didn't give up on your quest.

Interesting thread, I do like the play on words of your username.  

Most any fly pattern developed prior to 1960 used only natural materials and therefore biodegradable.  There are sites that concentrate on older pattetns.  Try FAOL (flyanglersonline.com) as there is a section on this site that specializes in older patterns ("Just Old Flies").

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Kim

So for flash there are lots of biodegradable plastics.  Almost all flash we use is mylar or a Mylar knockoff.  Some one just needs. Figure out what biodegradable plastic to replace Mylar with. Prior to mylar it was other metals. Think the classic gold on one side silver on the other side tinsel

@DonkeyHotay I do not have much to add except I would start with tying older patterns and see how different natural materials perform.  Once you build that understanding you can look at modern flies with synthetic materials and know what natural replacements are available.

I do however want to emphasize that I really appreciate you asking this question and pursuing fly tying in this manner.

17 hours ago, rscconrad said:

Prior to mylar it was other metals. Think the classic gold on one side silver on the other side tinsel

i have metal tinsels and they are not gold on one side and silver on the other

mylar tinsels are laminated. gold on one side and silver on the other. i have had the large size delaminate while wrapping

<deleted content> 99% of materials end up unused in tupper ware containers or wooden drawers. lol. This thread is funny

Edited by mikechell
Unnecessarily derogatory.