Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
WWKimba

Fly Tyers Beginners should start with

I've seen questions on this post like - "What are some fly patterns a beginner should start with?" and "What are some good books to start tying with?".

I'd like to suggest my list of fly tyers that a beginner/novice tyer should start with.  For this list I considered the following:  ease of pattern, limited number of materials, use of "pantry" materials (i.e. - materials used in most patterns like bucktail, peacock herl, rabbit, male ringneck pheasant, wool yarn...), effectiveness of the patterns, and total number of patterns attributed to the tyer.

Here's my Bakers dozen,

1 - Jack Gartside (#1 with a bullet!)

2 - Fran Betters

3 - Ed Shenk

4 - Polly Rosborough

5 - Andre Puyans (this man is very under rated because he was so humble!)

6 - Doug Swisher

7 - Carl Richards

8 - James Leisering

9 - Vernon S. Hidy

10 - Art Flick

11 - Eric Leiser

12 - Gary LaFontaine

13 - Frank Sawyer

My top 4 are solid in my mind, the rest could be in another order and I wouldn't argue.  Whom would you suggest?

Kim

Lots of books, videos and Youtube for you to learn. Here are two I like to tie and are simple. The dry fly is called Simple Simon as it's an Adams without wings. The other is a brown hackle peacock. I have used these two all over East Tennessee with success. In fact,  I have to tie them on while hiding behind a tree.😁

Brown Hackle peacock-

Wet fly hook 12-18

Tail- Red yarn held by black thread.

Secure two strands of peacock herl and wrap forward, secure.

Two or three wraps brown or ginger hackle.

Simple Simon-

Dry fly hook 12-16.

Tail of any feather you find on the ground secured by tan thread.

Body- tan dubbing; use yellow for sulphur hatch around here.

Brown hackle of two or three turns and add cement; I use cheap CA glue from $$$ Tree or Harbor Freight.

IMG_4480.JPG

You have given and excellent list of great tiers.  I have books from most of these tiers.  I would add Charlie Craven to the list in at least 5th place.  I personally rate his book as number 1 

18 minutes ago, utyer said:

You have given and excellent list of great tiers.  I have books from most of these tiers.  I would add Charlie Craven to the list in at least 5th place.  I personally rate his book as number 1 

He didn't quite make the cut - but no argument from me that he has earned a place of the list.  I had other names I could have added as well- Rimm Chung, Al Troth, Bob Clouser, Lefty Kreh, Frank Hornburg and Franz Pott to name a few.

Kim

On 11/30/2020 at 7:18 PM, mikechell said:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/

Untitled.jpg

Click on "Beginning Tying" ... page down when you get to this page and follow the lessons.  Each one is more involved and builds on previous ones. 

Can't be beat, as far as I can tell.

This looks excellent!  Thanks!

14 hours ago, fiveonomo said:

This looks excellent!  Thanks!

If you like old patterns - hit the "Articles" section and check out "Old Flies" from the pull down menu - patterns and stories/histories of many old patterns.  In fact look over the WHOLE site it is a GREAT reference site!

Kim

1 hour ago, chugbug27 said:

For a different angle there's also a fun & very helpful beginner's series at sexyloops

https://www.sexyloops.com/flytying/index.shtml

Nice add chug!  A similar read is located on a different thread on this section entitled "Don't Tie Flies".

Kim

My vote is for the San Juan Worm as its the fly that got me started. Can't get too much simpler that tying a piece of string to a hook and burning the ends.

I don't thunk you could go wrong with in person lessons, or at least working under a mentor if available in your area.    You can certainly learn off the net or from books but I think the in person aspect will help you pick up the hobby faster with fewer trial and error mistakes.  Just my opinion

9 minutes ago, Meeshka said:

I don't thunk you could go wrong with in person lessons, or at least working under a mentor if available in your area.    You can certainly learn off the net or from books but I think the in person aspect will help you pick up the hobby faster with fewer trial and error mistakes.  Just my opinion

I agree, new tyers could learn sitting and tying with me - BUT - I know they'd learn even more from sitting next to say Jack Gartside or Helen Shaw if that were an option.  That's what I was asking the original question - (remembering when you started this fine endeavor) - knowing what you know now, who would you have liked to learn tying from using THAT tyers patterns?

Options could even include Izaak Walton, Dame Juliana Berners or Col. Venables!  Who would you choose?

Kim 

One can get free tying lessons and casting lessons from many Trout Unlimited chapter, www.tu.org or Fly Fishers International, https://flyfishersinternational.org/.

In 2018, I attended the Fly Fishing Expo, held in Atlanta. This is held in several places around the US. If it's not cancelled for 2021, well worth attending. Several tying demonstrations during the day. Look up the 2018 show and should give a list of tyers there.

In Louisiana, I know at least a few of the fly fishing clubs have transitioned to Zoom tying sessions for their members in recent months.  This requires the beginner to have their own vise & tools, but might be a good way to get started in a time when in-person lessons are a little harder to come by.

In a few cases, I believe members could sign up to have the required tying materials mailed to them in advance of the meeting.

Chris