Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
McFlyLures

GFI Hopper

This pattern is awesome for trout, sunfish, bass, and anything that will eat a grasshopper. It also can be tied in black to mimic a cricket really easily as well. Its a quick, very effective, foam indicator type fly. In fact, ive heard its named "GFI" because its a "General Foam Indicator". Again, simple, generic, foam type fly. I think I like this pattern better than a Chernobyl ant personally as it seems to get more wary fish to nibble, and is slightly easier to tie. These are awesome little patterns, that are so versatile. I have tied them very large, with a thicker foam, and very small as well. They also can be tied in so many different colors. So give it a try!

Hooks: Risen Barbless Nymph 9231 (you don't need dry fly hooks with these, they float so well)

Thread:  Veevus 10/0 in light Cahill

Dubbing:  UV2 Diamond Bright in copper/olive

Body:  2mm Fly Foam in Gold (and a bright color for accent)

Wing:  Elk Hair

Legs:  MFC Centipede Legs in Medium

Cement:  Super Glue

11 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

my favorite hopper pattern. i've always heard it referred to as a GFA hopper though - general foam attractor. https://www.google.com/search?q=gfa+hopper&rlz=1C1SQJL_enUS919US919&oq=gfa+ho&aqs=chrome.1.69i57j0i457j0l6.4297j0j7&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

You know your right...  lol!   I always thought it was GFI “General Foam Indicator”.   Oops, that sucks.  Hahahah.  Kinda the telephone game I guess.  I’ve seen people call it the GFA and I guess it was more of a brain fart for me.  

Question:  why use a nymph hook?  Is it not heavier than a dry fly hook?  I would have thought a light wire hook would float better.  Maybe I am splitting hairs, pardon the pun.

Your videos are always very well done and professional.  I will add some of these to my box.

11 minutes ago, DarrellP said:

Question:  why use a nymph hook?  Is it not heavier than a dry fly hook?  I would have thought a light wire hook would float better.  Maybe I am splitting hairs, pardon the pun.

Your videos are always very well done and professional.  I will add some of these to my box.

Thanks!  Nice to hear people notice the effort.    As for the hook, I fish these for bass.  It’s foam, lots of floating things on it, I’ve never had these sink even with these hooks.  Dry fly hooks tend to be a little more delicate, and therefor with 2x tippet could bend on a nice bass.  These I find hold up better, and I’ve not had them sink.  Use dry fly hooks if you want though, especially if your fishing for trout and such.  

13 hours ago, dogfacedoc said:

i've always heard it referred to as a GFA hopper though - general foam attractor. 

yes me too

The GFA (General Foam Attractor) Hopper was developed by Walter Wiese of Parks Fly Shop in Montana. As far as hopper patterns go, the GFA is incredibly easy to tie and really does the trick

3 hours ago, flytire said:

yes me too

The GFA (General Foam Attractor) Hopper was developed by Walter Wiese of Parks Fly Shop in Montana. As far as hopper patterns go, the GFA is incredibly easy to tie and really does the trick

Thank you, yes I’m sure you saw my response.  Thanks

6 hours ago, Sandan said:

When I tie those and give em to a buddy I call em the GFY hopper😉

Do I wanna know what that stands for? 

Looks versatile you can make a dragonfly pattern out of it with some clear fibers across the body.   I always enjoy your videos.   Ty 

51 minutes ago, petelangevin said:

Looks versatile you can make a dragonfly pattern out of it with some clear fibers across the body.   I always enjoy your videos.   Ty 

Thanks man!  Glad you like them.