Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
troutmaster08

Youtube channel Ideas

I started my youtube channel yesterday and was wondering what piece of advice you have. I know my camera sucks but im working on that. You can comment or post here with any advice. (heres the link to my newest video)     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lsx7-FE9kE

Thanks!

lighting

your tying should be in focus

background color

zoom in on the fly when tying

know the history and recipe of the fly you're tying. don't tell us it has certain materials and you use something completely different

review other youtube videos and try to emulate them. look at tightlines videos, hans weilenmann, davie mcphail videos

Invest in a small tripod and place your camera from the back side of the vice, such as other youtubers do, and lighting like SBPatt says. Your off to a good start though. Practice makes perfect. 👍

maybe have the camera closer to the fly (I know, it sucks), and better lighting. 

I like your patter. Did you add voice after, or did you talk during?  You appear to know what you're talking about (and when you don't you freely disclose), and the things you say are almost all purposeful. Much better on that front than many videos out there.

On your dubbing.... You twisted it tight with your left hand (clockwise), but then just as you were saying you want a tight dubbing ball you switched hands and untwisted the dubbing with your right hand (counterclockwise), and ended up with a loose dubbing ball.🤦

Good start.

On top of the already mentioned...

Down the road you will want to have an intro, outro, titles, credits and some music and maybe video effects. It’s a whole ‘nother world, but, when you are ready, check Davinci Resolve for a free, pro quality video editor. Or Kdenlive for a simpler, also more limited, and still free one.

One thing though... Many of us are old folks who watch YouTubes of even older folks tying flies. Watch too, and learn from the better ones, but there is nothing wrong with trying something different in your video making that may appeal to your fly tying audience.

21 hours ago, Landon P said:

I can post my phone holder if you are interested. It is just an old vise with a phone stand on it. 

Yeah that sounds good.

Lighting- I used two clamp-on lights from Harbor Freight with curly Q bulbs. I soften the light with covers made by my wife out of thin fabric.

Background- I mostly use a tan fabric that has to glare to it.

Camera used- Canon SX530 HD on macro setting and stacked +4 and +10 diopter lenses.

I play around with ISO and aperture settings to get the best photo.

BrownHacklePeacock.JPG

IMG_6179.JPG

Good start.  Earlier suggestions are spot-on.    I prefer videos that start with an image of the finished fly so I can see right away if it's something I'm interested in.  Please give more detailed pattern infor (generic hook type eg 2xl, 1xf and preferred size range; specific threads; type of deer hair such as coarse or fine).  Good Luck.

Thanks, Bob H

I find I lose interest in a video, with all due respect to those who make videos.  I started tying years ago before the Internet where all we had was a book, photo and a recipe.