Fly Tying

Hi All,

I was looking for some input about buying hackle. I have a chance to possibly buy a lightly used ("only a few feathers used") introductory hackle pack. I was wondering if people had any experience with these introductory packs. From what I was able to find, these capes aren't graded by Whiting, but I found some claims that they are similar to bronze grade hackle. Is that consistent with others' experiences? What would be a fair price to offer on previously owned hackle like this? The only other comparison I have come across is I have seen tyer grade intro packs similar to this new for $40. Thanks in advance for any insights. 

Hackle.PNG

I never buy hackle that I cannot examine.

If you can examine the hackle, do so and look for hackles of the size you are going to use. 

The most popular size for dry flies is a size 14 so look for sizes 12-18 and especially size 14. When you find a size 14 look for bare spots next to it and if that area is plucked, do not buy the hackle.

They are a good buy for starting or for a travel kit. I just picked one up for $30 had very few feathers picked off the grizzly and brown. New they range from $75-100 range. I am always looking for used tying material, is was bronze graded from Whiting, bronze is better than my usual commercial/pro/#3 grades . My price may have reflected that I also bought other items from the "estate". Buy more  / haggle more. I agree with Silver I always examine any hackle I am buying for size range, feather count, and hackle length & stiffness. I find a lot of stuff I would not spend my money on. A  good shop will always allow you to inspect the product prior to purchase and explain how to grade.

Looks authentic enough. If you don't have a good fly shop near you to inspect before you buy, I'd buy it at $40 if you are wanting to start out with some dry fly hackles and are wanting to economize. Absolutely. But I'm comfortable buying from strangers, as I have been burned much more often by online fly shops than by private individuals.

They retail for $75, which itself is a good price for four whiting half capes. This was from a reputable shop at $66. Here's that store's page for this product:

https://www.caddisflyshop.com/whiting-farms-intro-hackle-pack.html

You've also got a really nice looking badger cape in this set, which is a great find, along with a decent looking brown and grizzly. Those are great colors, all you'd really "need" other than that would be a dun. The black you can use for ants and beetles.

Or you could pay $35 for a single half cape from a store and inspect it first.

Intro packs go on sale often for 50 bucks. I dont care much about hackle grading so I think it would be a great buy if the price is right.  It's used feathers so I'd offer 20 bucks take it or leave it. Otherwise, I'djust buy a new one and the seller can keep the used one for another decade. 

Thanks for all the input! This has been really helpful. I should be able to take a look at the hackle before purchasing. It has been up for sale for awhile now, so hopefully the seller will be eager to drop the price and get rid of it. 

I agree with Chugbug27 . 40.00 is a good offer and I think you would be very happy with the purchase.

I'm with 'the go for it', if it really is lightly used.  I got one of those intro packs off the auction site a few years ago for $35 or so, I forget.  Described as barely used.  Never used as far as I could tell.  Of course, being the frugal Yankee that I am, I would offer $30, but I'd still buy it at $40.  

The only negative I could say is that I would definitely would have wanted a dun half cape in there.

Yeah, no dun and sizes not going down to 18 are negatives. I was hoping the seller would come down from $40 since they have been up for sale for 9 weeks now. I also just spent a few bucks on a different fly tying order, so I don't "need" any more feathers right now either. 

@ScienceGuy141  I’m pretty sure those half capes will go down to at least a sz 20.

@Moshup Oh, really? I was skeptical that there would be many smaller sized feathers on them since the packaging says primarily sizes 12-16. I figured they'd be more likely to stretch the size range vs stay on the conservative side. 

@ScienceGuy141 

Just remembered I have one cream half neck left from an intro pack I got about 4 yrs ago. I gave away the other three to

budding young tyers.  So I just took a look at it and it definitely has 18 s. with about 15 to 20 20’s.  Primary sz is 14 and 16 s .

So at 10.00 each for a whiting half neck it really is a bargain BUT if you plan to just tie smalls you should go with 100 packs in my opinion.

Also all capes can be different so I don’t want to mislead you,

D42F539A-EE4B-4C6D-83F0-C038A46C8787.jpeg

6A9607BB-0098-4E55-8D50-1C22FD7C7860.jpeg

@Moshup that certainly does make them more appealing knowing that. Thanks for pulling out your own and checking. Part of my hesitation is certainly me being a cheapskate, but the college years are supposed to do that to a guy. 

No problem.  If I was starting and planning to tie a lot of different stuff I’d go with capes.  Grizzly,dun,brown first priority.

On another note hackle prices took a big jump this year. Good luck and enjoy yourself.