Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Artistic Angling

Non-Flash Flashabou?

Hello,

I was wondering if any of you have come across a matte version of flashabou? Basically the same but without the shine. I did find some magnum flashabou in matte gold, but that would be too big for my purposes, and obviously only gold. Spanflex and plastic raffia both still have gloss to them. The best I’ve been able to come up with is to use thin rubber legs, but would really like something more like the qualities of the Mylar in flashabou.

May be a wild goose chase,

Thanks,

Craig

you might want to explain the purpose you need matte finish materals and you might get a better answer and we wont google as much 😀

BTKA_1527375322038303_fd441774999b7ae31b

the only matte finish tinsel i know of is Hends Patina

it may look flashy in the above photo but it really is a matte finish

Barred-Flashabou-Magnum-Hedron_1024x1024

maybe something like above would work

another option could be satin strands      cut a  square patch of color you want and pullout the shiney strands and opposite would be a dull matte type . can be purchased at wall mart,craft stores off the bolt  most stores will cut 6 inches but it 54 " long for under a buck

Thanks,

I like the movement of Mylar in a baitfish imitation, but I am of the opinion that the reflectivity of an actual baitfish is much lower than an imitation made from all flashabou material provides. Things like Bucktail, craft fur etc., do indeed move in the water, but not to the degree that flashabou does. Of course, many, including me, just use a strip or two as a highlight, but I wanted to try an all flash fly design. The patina tinsel above would be perfect if in a hank form, and I will likely just order some spools to test my idea. So far the patina spools are the best option I’ve seen, and at least I know that is made!

Thanks Folks,

Craig

I'd bet there is a chemical you could dip your flashabou in to dull the finish without destroying it. Or just rub it a bit with steel wool or sandpaper.

I got a hank of this stuff in the Christmas swap. 

IMG-20220102-171754.jpg

The finish seems to be similar to what you're looking for, very dull.  @ 4" in length, might be a little too wide for your purpose though.  Not sure what it is, but I'm thinking of using it to wrap the body on my fly for the perdigon fly swap. 

Maybe @vicrider will chime in.  

Like MFG said it's from flashabou he uses in bulk to make musky lures for donation to groups. This is what's left after he cuts off what he needs. He was nice enough to send a big bunch of those hunks to include in the Santa  surprises. I've already used them as the flash on a couple of buggers and wrapping a body such as a rainbow warrior or a Perdigon might be a great way to make use of them. He is going to save another bunch for us next year if all goes well and it is definitely usable in different flash applications.

Back when I was tying commercially.. if a shop or guide asked for just a hint of flash on any baitfish imitation I'd reduce the number of strands of the shiny stuff and tie it in under maribou in a similar color.  That way you'd get the much diminished flash effect...  Of course in the salt that's really not what most anglers want and some even go to the trouble of using nothing but flash on their wings.... The following, fairly extreme example is for use in places where a gold spoon is very effective on redfish, for instance... It's called the Natural Slinky... and it's fairly snag-proof in wild mangrove jungle dark water flats and shallow coves...

iYcDDrE.jpg

This is a slightly weighted bendback pattern in 1/0

Hook:  Mustad 34007 1/0, bent away from the hook point slightly about 1/4" from the eye

Body:  Gold diamond braid over 1/2 " of .040 square lead wire tied in under the hook shank after the bend to form a "keel"

Thread:  Danville's flat waxed nylon (210 denier)

Underwing:  a sparse amount of dyed brown buctail on top of the hook, about 2" long

Flash:  30 to 40 strands of gold Flashabou over under wing,  with staggered ends

Wing:  2 dyed rootbeer maribou blood quill, married together (curve inwards) to form a single unit (done properly this pattern always looks like too much maribou- until it gets wet...

Collar:  one large, wide, webby natural variant saddle hackle with as much "fluff" left on it as possible while still able to palmer it into place.. 

Eyes:  optional, painted

Finish:  FlexCoat, a two part rodbuilders epoxy finish...